[ANN] Apache Isis 1.12.1 Released
The Apache Isis team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Isis v1.12.1
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.12.0 Released
- much enhanced support for custom layouts, using an optional separate XML layout file Xxx.layout.xml. This is similar in concept to the earlier support we have had for custom layouts through a .layout.json file, but introduces the ability to position object members anywhere using (bootstrap3) columns and rows. It also brings in support for tab groups, and allows object members to be included in the page more than once (eg a table view and also a calendar view).
- a change to the editing of objects: rather than an 'edit' button which toggles the entire page into edit mode, instead each property is edited individually.
- various new domain services. Some of these are in supoprt of the dynamic layouts functionality, others including new access into Apache Isis' metamodel. In addition, the DomainObjectContainer service has been deprecated, replaced by a number of fine-grained services such as RepositoryService and MessageService.
- a number of new mixins, to automatically surface in the UI an entity's id, version (if any) as properties, and actions to download the layout XML and other metadata actions. (These can always be hidden using either security or by writing a subscriber; see the migration notes).
- JAXB view models are now automatically editable by default.
Posted at 06:03PM Mar 29, 2016 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis 1.11.1 Released
Posted at 03:04PM Jan 17, 2016 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.11.0 Released
Posted at 06:46AM Jan 02, 2016 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.10.0 Released
Posted at 08:22AM Nov 10, 2015 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
RAD RACE 2015: 7 proprietary CASE tools, and Apache Isis
On Sept 25th and 26th we (Jeroen van der Wal & Dan Haywood) took part in the Original RAD Race competition. This is a competition staged each year, this year (as in previous years) hosted and sponsored by Cap Gemini, and held in their offices in Utrecht, Netherlands.
The competition consists of teams of exactly two team members; there were eight in total. The competition is held under very strict conditions: 8 hours of development on the first day, and a further 4 hours of coding the next. If you do the maths you’ll work out that means a sum total of 24 hours (2 team members x 12 hours), or 3 person-days.
We asked and were granted permission to develop our application as open source; our entry is in a github repo. If you look through the commit history you’ll see that all the work was done in those 12 hours (8 on 25 Sept 2015, a further 4 on 26 Sept). All the other teams used proprietary tools such as NoutBuilder, ThinkWise, Progress, SalesForce, Uniface and Mendix. We were the only open source entry, using Apache Isis (along with supporting modules in Isis Addons); in fact we think we are the first open source entry in the 17 years history of the competition.
OK, we didn’t win… but we got the impression we were mid-table, which we think is pretty good in the face of the competition. But you can judge for yourself; either download and build the code, or simply take a look at the various screenshots/our commentary on the README of the repo.
The README also has some of our "learnings" that we concluded from taking part in the competition.
Posted at 03:01PM Oct 03, 2015 by danhaywood in General | |
[ANN] Apache Isis v1.9.0 Released
Posted at 09:49PM Sep 01, 2015 by danhaywood in General | |
[ANN] Apache Isis 1.8.0
- Apache Isis Core version 1.8.0
- SimpleApp Archetype 1.8.0
- a new theme-able look-n-feel for the Wicket viewer, using Twitter Bootstrap and font awesome icons
- a new simplified set of annotations (@Property, @DomainObject, @CollectionLayout etc) to make features more discoverable; see cheat-sheet
- support to enable multi-tenancy (in particular in conjunction with Isis addons security module)
- new i18n support using gettext .po files, honouring user locale
- sign-up/self-registration support (so that end-users can create own user accounts)
- EmailService for sending HTML emails, optionally with attachments
- ability to validate individual parameters imperatively
- config property to flag use of deprecated annotations/method prefixes
- Maven plugin to validate domain object model with respect to Isis programming conventions
- improved support for Neo4J
- experimental support for more flexibility of generating Restful Objects representations
- as of 1.8.0 the Wicket Viewer is bundled in with Core
- the ToDoApp archetype is no longer provided, however the example todoapp is available from Isis addons (not ASF) to fork and adapt.
- this release drops support for JDK 1.6, standardizes on JDK 1.7
Posted at 07:59AM Feb 24, 2015 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.7.0 Released
Posted at 06:24AM Oct 21, 2014 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.6.0 Released
Posted at 06:19PM Jul 28, 2014 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.5.0 - decoupling using the event bus, fixture scripts, better jrebel support
Posted at 06:47PM Jun 07, 2014 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Isis Wicket Viewer 1.3.1 released, with updated archetypes
Posted at 08:01AM Nov 14, 2013 by danhaywood in Announcements | |
[ANN] Isis 1.3.0 released - crammed full of goodies!
- Apache Isis Core version 1.3.0
- Wicket Viewer 1.3.0
- Restful Objects Viewer 2.1.0
- JDO Object Store 1.3.0
- Shiro Security 1.3.0
- Quickstart Archetype 1.3.0
- Simple Archetype 1.3.0
- contributed collections and properties
- view model support (across both Wicket and RO viewers)
- UI layouts defined in JSON files
- better integration and BDD testing support, including Cucumber-JVM integration
- domain services for handling application and user settings service
- domain service providing various developer utilities (eg downloading metamodel)
- domain service incorporating Guava's EventBus service);
- context-specific autoComplete
- conditional choices
- new annotations: @SortedBy; @CssClass; @PostsPropertyChangedEvent
- helpers for writing contract unit tests and for writing comparable entities
- optimistic locking improvements
- default dashboard
- more sophisticated layouts, with multiple columns
- dynamic reloading of layouts
- sortable table columns
- BlobPanel displaying images
- bookmarkable actions
- upgrade to wicket 6.11.0
- better integration/validation between Isis and JDO metamodels
- upgrade to DataNucleus 3.2.7
- better Google App Engine compatibility
- expose JDO PersistenceManager via domain service for more sophisticated use cases
In addition to all that, there is a new "simple" archetype, making it easier to get started.
Posted at 05:54PM Oct 25, 2013 by danhaywood in Announcements | |