Call for Entries --Apache Incubator Logo
ENTRIES NOW CLOSED.
- Community Voting: 21-27 February 2017 at http://incubator.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html
- Winning Design will be announced the week of 13 March 2017
WHO -- About the Apache Incubator
Projects and communities intending to become fully-fledged projects under the auspices of The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) do so through the Apache Incubator http://incubator.apache.org/. The Apache Incubator is recognized as a leading process for developing enterprise-grade, community-driven Open Source software across several categories. Today, a record 64 projects (known as "podlings") are currently undergoing development in the Apache Incubator. 14 years after its inception, the Apache Incubator will embark on a new look that reflects the innovative, forward-thinking communities behind some of the world’s most influential software.
WHAT -- Official Submission Guidelines/Instructions
The Call for Entries for the Apache Incubator logo is your opportunity to provide the new face of a very visible part of the ASF.
"Entry" = a logo design created by the Entrant for this Call.
"Entrant" = the individual that offers the Entry under the terms of this Call.
1) Eligibility: The Call is open to all, including individuals (students, amateurs, professionals), and organizations (educational institutions, companies, design firms, etc.).
2) Awards/Recognition: As the ASF is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization, there will be no cash award. The winning design will be announced in the Apache Incubator mailing lists and related social media. The winner has the right to use the basic logo to identify him/her/itself as the logo designer.
3) Jurors: as this a community-oriented activity, we will solicit participation and input from the Open Source community at-large. Final jurors will comprise members of the Apache Incubator Project Management Committee (PMC).
Call for Entries: 3 January 2017
Deadline for Entries: 20 February 2017
Community Voting ends: 27 February 2017
Announcement of Winning Design: week of 13 March 2017
Finalize logo and related assets for rollout: 3 April 2017
Step 1 --Review our Call for Entries and follow the Design Guidelines and Submission Instructions. Also please carefully review the Eligibility and Copyright sections.
Step 2 --Create a logo that adheres to the Design Guidelines.
Step 3 --Upload logo at http://incubator.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html per the instructions below. Each design proposal (Entry) should be uploaded individually. NOTE: we are using JIRA software team issue/project tracking for submissions.
1) Log in/create an account on the ASF JIRA at https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa
2) Create an issue on the Incubator Project at https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?selectedProjectId=10595&issuetype=3. Click “Next” (no further action is needed)
3) Complete a single ticket per Entry submission (“Create Issue”), providing the requisite information in the following fields (the rest can be left blank):
- Summary - include the name of your logo (e.g. “IncubatorLogo1 by Designco”)
- Component/s - choose "LogoSubmission" from menu options
- Description - provide full description of the logo, including Entrant’s name and email address (submissions with incomplete descriptions will be rejected).
- Attachments - Attach the artwork relevant to your submission
4) Click “Create”.
5) When artwork has been uploaded in both formats, you are done! Repeat Steps 2-4 for additional logo submissions (= same Entrant, different logo).
Step 4 --Please check your email confirming receipt of your Entry submission.
WHAT -- Judging Process
1) Round One: Online Voting - All submissions will be reviewed and voted on by the community at-large via online survey. The top 5 entrants with the highest score automatically move on to the second round. Scores are accumulated and registered by rating in the online survey.
2) Round Two: PMC Jury - Members of the Apache Incubator Project Management Committee (PMC) will review and vote on the 5 top designs as determined by the community in Round One. In the case of a tie, the top two designs will go back to the community for 48 hours to determine the tie breaker via the online survey. NOTE: the Apache Incubator PMC, in its sole discretion, reserves the right not to select a winner in the event that no suitable entries are received.
The winner will be announced in our mailing lists and social media channels, as well as during ApacheCon, the official conference series of The Apache Software Foundation. The winner will be required to follow-up with the Incubator PMC to fine-tune and submit final artwork no later than 31 March 2017.
HOW -- Design Guidelines and Submission Instructions
How to Enter:
1. Entries must be submitted online using the ASF Incubator JIRA form via http://incubator.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html .
2. The entries must be submitted as a PDF and PNG.
3. The submission must include the Entrant’s name and email address.
4. Entries must conform to the Submission Guidelines or otherwise be rejected.
5. The deadline for Entries is 12Midnight (Pacific Time; UTC-7) on Monday, 20 February 2017
There is no fee to enter the Call
The purpose of the Call is to design a logo that represents the breadth of projects and the diverse communities in the Apache Incubator. The logo will be used online, in print, and on promotional materials. The design must be flexible, easily scalable/resized, and work both in color as well as black and white. The use of halftones and gradients are discouraged. The final version of the logo will need to be suitable for high quality printing.
The logo must exemplify the theme of innovation and/or progress and may contain the actual ASF feather or a graphical interpretation or representation of the ASF feather or colors.
1. Each Entry will consist of 2 files, in PDF and PNG formats.
2. The logo Mark needs to be scalable and legible at relatively small sizes.
3. The logo should be flexible enough to accommodate positioning alongside a variety of logos, 4. Do upload images that follow a 4:3 aspect ratio (ie. 600w x 450h / 1200w x 900h)
5. Do ensure your design covers as much of the preview image as possible
6. Do include transparency effects, with and without borders
Due to the possibility of the ASF registering the logo as an official trademark, Entrants must ensure that their designs are not similar in any way to existing logos or other copyrighted images. Entries that cannot be registered are disallowed and will be disqualified.
Final Assets Required Include:
Standalone --image/Mark only
Mark + name --"Apache Incubator"
Mark + Name + URL --"Apache Incubator" + "incubator.apache.org"
Variant on "Powered By" logo http://apache.org/foundation/press/kit/#poweredby , replacing copy in circular band with "Apache Incubator Podling"
Due to the requirements for high quality printing and re-sizing, final versions of the logo/Mark assets must include scalable vector graphic EPS, as well as PDF, JPG, PNG, and SVG formats with both white and transparent backgrounds.
Judging and Selection of Winner:
1. The winning design will be selected by the Apache Incubator Project Management Committee. Their decision will be final.
2. If required, the winning Entrant must be willing to make adjustments or changes to the final version of the logo.
3. In the event of no winning Entry selected, the Apache Incubator PMC will reopen the Call.
4. The winning Entrant will be required to assign all ownership of the logo to the ASF.
5. The winning entry may be withdrawn in the event of its inability to be registered as a trademark.
Intellectual Property: 1. All submitted work must be original and not based on any pre-existing design. 2. All entries will become the sole property of the ASF and may be displayed publicly on Websites and related promotional materials. 3. The winning entry will be the property of the ASF and may be registered as a trademark of the ASF. Entrant agrees to transfer all rights and title to the ASF.
Participation constitutes the Entrant's full agreement to and acceptance of these rules. By participating in the Call, the Entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. These official rules constitute the entire agreement between the Entrant and the ASF in relation to the Call. They govern the Entrant's participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the Entrant and the ASF relating to the Call.
Queries: You may contact general(AT)incubator.apache.org with any questions.
# # #