Entries tagged [opensource]
Announcing Apache® CloudStack™ v4.9
CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources. It supports a broad range of integration points for both traditional and Cloud-native workloads.
- Out-of-band power management of hosts through IPMI, iLO, DRAC
- Enhancements to CloudStack networking model including deeper integration with Nuage VSP SDN
- User defined security roles
- More than 180 minor enhancements and issues fixed
Apache CloudStack has been used by thousands of organizations worldwide and is in use/production at Alcatel-Lucent, Autodesk, BT Cloud, China Telecom, cloud.ca, Cloudops, Codero Hosting, DataPipe, Exoscale, Globo.com, GreenQloud, Hokkaido University, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, Interoute, KDDI, KT/Korea Telecom, LeaseWeb, NTT, Orange, PCextreme, Schuberg Philis, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, Tata, Telia Latvia, Trader Media Group, TomTom, University of Melbourne, University of São Paolo, Verizon, and WebMD among many others. A list of known users of the software can be found at http://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html
"Apache CloudStack has been at the very foundation of Telia CLOUDY SERVICES already for more than 3 years," said Mārtiņš Paurs, CCO of CLOUDY SERVICES by Telia Latvia. "After starting with regular IaaS services, during time it has taken over orchestration of Cloud based video surveillance, CDN and video lifecycle management workloads, all for the benefit of our customers. And CloudStack does it really well! The ease of use, stability, professional and community support, powerful features and scale we can achieve by using CloudStack has turned upside down the way and pace we innovate together with the very demanding market."
"cloud.ca is an avid supporter of Apache CloudStack not only because we value the stability and robustness of the platform, but because we highly value the power of the CloudStack community to drive innovation," said Mike Gero, Vice President of Product & Business Development at cloud.ca. "We look forward to benefiting from the myriad of improvements and fixes in CloudStack 4.9, as well as beginning to work with new features like the enhanced networking model."
"At University of São Paulo we are proud to be part of the Apache CloudStack community. We see the community playing a very strong role in solving many issues and providing ongoing effort to improve Apache CloudStack through recent versions, including 4.9," said Professor João Eduardo Ferreira, IT Office CIO, and Cyrano Rizzo, Sao Paulo IT Office Director, at University of São Paulo. "We are very happy to have adopted Apache CloudStack since 2012 as our main tool to run our infrastructure private cloud initiative of +500 hosts. Apache CloudStack is a professional-grade and very robust tool: we continue to use and encourage other institutions to use the same architecture."
CloudStack 4.9 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html. Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.
Governance and Oversight
Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.
Posted at 09:57PM Aug 22, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache® Software Foundation Announces Annual Report for 2015-2016 Fiscal Year
Trusted community recognized for accelerating Open Source innovation and advancing the future of open development.
Forest Hill, MD —6 June 2016— The Apache® Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today the availability of its annual report for its 2015-2016 fiscal year, which ended 30 April 2016. Highlights include:
Open Source Leadership --
- 21st anniversary of the Apache HTTP Server Project
- 17th anniversary of The Apache Software Foundation
- 175 committees managing 291 Top-level Projects (TLPs) and dozens of sub-projects
Millions of people worldwide access the ASF's two dozen servers and 75 distinct hosts each day
- Apache featured more than 400 times in Gartner Magic Quadrant reports
- 20 new Apache Top-level Projects (TLPs)
- Record 55 podlings undergoing development in the Apache Incubator, plus 39 initiatives in the Apache Labs
- Apache Hadoop® ecosystem continues to dominate the Big Data marketplace
- 743 repositories managed
- 33% increase in signed Individual Contributor License Agreements (CLAs)
- 3,425 ASF Committers and 5,922 Apache code contributors (21% increase) added nearly 20M lines of code; average 18,000 code commits per month
- 315,533,038 Lines of code changed (65% increase)
- 58 new individual ASF Members elected
- Apache projects overseen by 2,000+ Project Management Committee (PMC) members
- Launched new "Help Wanted" application to match volunteers with Apache projects and activities seeking assistance
- Held hundreds of events globally, including ApacheCon Europe and North America, plus countless conferences, workshops, and regional MeetUps
- Participated in the Google Summer of Code as a Mentoring Organization for 12 consecutive years
- Apache services running 24x7x365 at near 100% uptime on an annual budget of less than US$5,000 per project
- Launched new home.apache.org and lists.apache.org services
- Initiated experiment with Github to automate user management and group permissions for 5,000+ Apache users
- Launched new ASF brand identity
- Ongoing trademarks, brand management, and legal support for dozens of existing and new projects
- Bolstered organizational backing, with 37 ASF Sponsors and 11 Infrastructure partners
- The ASF exited FY 2015 with revenue at $996K, ahead of projected budget
The full report is available online at https://s.apache.org/Ccml
# # #
Posted at 12:07PM Jun 06, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache® Software Foundation announces Apache Flink™ v1.0
- initiating backwards compatibility of public APIs against all 1.x.y versions;
- introducing functionality for complex event processing (CEP);
- supporting large state beyond memory limits;
- supporting state versioning and savepoints; and
- improving the system's monitoring functionality
- QCon (London, 7-9 March 2016)
- Strata/Hadoop World (San Jose, 28-31 March 2016)
- Hadoop Summit (Dublin, 13-14 April 2016)
- Kafka Summit (San Francisco, 26 April 2016)
- Apache: Big Data (Vancouver, 9-12 May 2016)
- OSCON (Austin, TX, 18-19 May 2016)
- Strata/Hadoop World (London, 31 May - 3 June 2016)
- Berlin Buzzwords (Berlin, 5-7 June 2016)
- Flink Forward (Berlin, 12-14 September 2016)
# # #
Posted at 12:00PM Mar 08, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Kylin™ as a Top-Level Project
Posted at 11:00AM Dec 08, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Brooklyn™ as a Top-Level Project
Posted at 11:00AM Nov 23, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ NiFi™ as a Top-Level Project
Posted at 10:00AM Jul 20, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache® Software Foundation Announces Annual Report for 2014-2015 Fiscal Year
Forest Hill, MD —2 June 2015— The Apache® Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today the availability of its annual report for its 2014-2015 fiscal year, which ended 30 April 2015.
Open Source Leadership --
- 20th anniversary of the Apache HTTP Server Project
- 15th anniversary of The Apache Software Foundation
- More than 16,000 code commits per month
- 831 Individual Contributor License Agreements (CLA), 58 Corporate CLAs, and 41 Software Grants signed
- More than 350 Projects in development
- 17 new Apache Top-level Projects (TLPs)
- 41 podlings in the Apache Incubator
- Facilitated contribution with 317 Git and 296 Subversion repositories
- ASF Membership exceeded 600 individuals
- 163 TLPs overseen by more than 2,000 Project Management Committee (PMC) members
- Held hundreds of events globally, including ApacheCon Europe and North America, as well as countless conferences, workshops, and regional MeetUps
- Mentored hundreds of students in "The Apache Way" of software development for the 11th consecutive year through the Google Summer of Code
- Bolstered Infrastructure, with 99.57% total uptime across all Apache services
- Launched new "Powered by Apache" graphics and revised apache.org look-and-feel
- Provided trademarks, brand management, and legal support for dozens of existing and new projects
- Rise in corporate support, with 39 Sponsors
- The ASF exited FY 2014 with revenue at $996K, ahead of projected budget
The full report is available online at http://s.apache.org/ZVp
# # #
Posted at 08:13PM Jun 02, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Drill™ 1.0
The business intelligence (BI) partner ecosystem is embracing the power of Apache Drill. Organizations such as Information Builders, JReport (Jinfonet Software), MicroStrategy, Qlik®, Simba, Tableau, and TIBCO, are working closely with the Drill community to interoperate BI tools with Drill through standard ODBC and JDBC connectivity. This collaboration enables end users to explore data by leveraging sophisticated visualization tools and advanced analytics.
"We've been using Apache Drill for the past six months," said Andrew Hamilton, CTO of Cardlytics. "Its ease of deployment and use along with its ability to quickly process trillions of records has made it an invaluable tool inside Cardlytics. Queries that were previously insurmountable are now common occurrence. Congratulations to the Drill community on this momentous occasion."
"Drill's columnar execution engine and optimizer take full advantage of Apache Parquet's columnar storage to achieve maximum performance," said Julien Le Dem, Technical Lead of Analytics Data Pipeline at Twitter and Vice President of Apache Parquet. "The Drill team has been a key contributor to the Parquet project, including recent enhancements to Parquet types and vectorization. The Drill team’s involvement in the Parquet community is instrumental in driving the standard."
"Apache Drill 1.0 raises the bar for secure, reliable and scalable SQL-on-Hadoop," said Piyush Bhargava, distinguished engineer, IT, Cisco Systems. "Because Drill integrates with existing data virtualization and visualization tools, we expect it will improve adoption of self-service data exploration and large-scale BI queries on our advanced Hadoop platform at Cisco."
Posted at 04:44PM May 19, 2015 by Sally in General | |
Apache™ PDFBox™ named an Open Source Partner Organization of the PDF Association
The Apache PDFBox™ library is an Open Source Java tool for working with Portable Document Format (PDF) documents. It allows for the creation of new PDF documents, manipulation, rendering, signing of existing documents and the ability to extract content from documents. Apache PDFBox also includes several command line utilities.
"We are proud to be recognized by the PDF Association as a driver of ISO-standardized PDF technology for electronic documents," said Andreas Lehmkühler, Vice President of Apache PDFBox. "Our liaison will help further strengthen the development of Apache PDFBox by providing access to knowledge and resources around PDF technology."
PDF was first released by Adobe Systems in 1993, became an ISO International Standard - ISO 32000-1 in 2008.
The PDF Association's Partner Organizations are international associations concerned with document management, enterprise content management, long-term archiving and accessibility. Apache PDFBox the PDF Association's first Open Source Partner Organization. The PDF Association delivers vital information about implementing PDF technology to software developers and IT decision makers, and helps document management and ECM implementers understand and leverage ISO-standardized PDF technology. In turn, enterprise systems implementers and end-users benefit from enhanced PDF technology.
"With Apache PDFBox, the first Open Source organization is joining our Association," said Thomas Zellmann, Managing Director of the PDF Association. "This is our contribution to support the growth of freely available PDF solutions and their functionality to further expand the market penetration of the PDF standard."
"Being part of the PDF Association recognizes our commitment to making ISO standardized electronic document technology easily available by leveraging Apache PDFBox as a foundation for other software applications," added Lehmkühler.
# # #
Posted at 08:21AM Feb 03, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Samza™ as a Top-Level Project
- DoubleDutch, developers of mobile apps for events and conferences, uses Samza to power their analytics platform and stream data live into an event dashboard for real-time insights;
- Forstcales' Big Data security analytics solutions use Samza to processes security events log as part of the data ingestion pipelines and on-line machine learning models creation process;
- Happy Pancake, Northern Europe's largest internet dating service, uses Samza for all event handlers and data replication;
- Advertising technology provider Improve Digital uses Samza as the foundation of a realtime processing capability performing data analytics and as the basis for an alerting system;
- Jack Henry & Associates uses Samza to process user activity data across its Banno suite of products for financial institutions;
- MobileAware uses Samza as a foundation for two mobile network products: real time analytics and multi channel notification (push, text message and HTML5);
- Technology startup Project Florida uses Samza for real-time monitoring of data streams from wearable sensors, for preventative healthcare purposes;
- Quantiply, providers of Cloud-based micro-applications, uses Samza to bring together user event, system performance, and business operational data for real-time visibility and decision support; and
- Social media business intelligence solution VinTank uses Samza to power their analysis and natural language processing (NLP) pipeline.
Posted at 10:21AM Jan 27, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ BookKeeper™ as a Top-Level Project
Apache BookKeeper is highly available (no single point of failure), and scales horizontally as more storage nodes are added. BookKeeper is used in production in many web scale companies. At Yahoo, it is used as the persistence layer for its Cloud messaging infrastructure, which delivers tens of billions of messages in a day. BookKeeper is used at Twitter as the replicated persistence backend for different messaging use cases, and is also used by Huawei as a shared storage in their solution for HDFS Namenode High Availability.
Posted at 09:21AM Jan 27, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Falcon™ as a Top-Level Project
"Graduation of Apache Falcon's is a proud moment for the community who came together to solve a very relevant problem of data processing and management in Hadoop ecosystem," said Mohit Saxena, CTO and co-founder InMobi, one of the largest users of Apache Falcon. "I also want to applaud the efforts of contributors, committers and user community who actively pitched in the development of Falcon and it is only because of their conviction and efforts project has graduated. I am hoping promotion of Falcon to TLP will increase the contribution and adoption across the community and help Falcon achieve newer heights."
Falcon represents a significant step forward in the Hadoop platform by enabling easy data management. Users of Falcon platform simply define infrastructure endpoints, data sets and processing rules declaratively. These declarative configurations are expressed in such a way that the dependencies between these configured entities are explicitly described. This information about inter-dependencies between various entities allows Falcon to orchestrate and manage various data management functions.
"Falcon has enabled our team to incrementally build up a complex pipeline comprised of over 90 processes and 200 feeds that would have been very challenging with Apache Oozie alone," said programmer Michael Miklavcic.
"I began to work on Falcon in my spare time for fun, but it quickly became interesting in relation to my job at Talend", said Jean-Baptise Onofré, Vice President of Apache Karaf and Software Architect at Talend. "As Talend DataIntegration provides features like CDC (Change Data Capture), and data notification, we are in the process of integrating Apache Falcon in Talend products."
"Apache Falcon's graduation is a milestone for the project and a credit to its contributors. Its open, collaborative development has effected a robust community around software essential to the Hadoop ecosystem," said Chris Douglas, Falcon incubation mentor at the ASF. "By becoming a Top-Level Project, the ASF recognizes its demonstrated ability to self-govern. Congratulations to Falcon's users, to its contributors, and particularly to its new Project Management Committee on this achievement."
Availability and Oversight
As with all Apache products, Apache Falcon software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For documentation and ways to become involved with Apache Falcon, visit http://falcon.apache.org/ and @ApacheFalcon on Twitter.
Posted at 09:21AM Jan 19, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Flink™ as a Top-Level Project
# # #
Posted at 09:21AM Jan 12, 2015 by Sally in General | |
ASF publishes long-overdue Code Of Conduct
tl;dr: The ASF has published a Code of Conduct.
We pride ourselves at The Apache Software Foundation on our principles of "community over code" and "don't be a jerk". But, alas, we've been slow to codify some of these things in public. Part of this, I'm sure, is that it’s easy to think we all just know how we're supposed to treat people, and so you shouldn't have to say, right?
--Rich Bowen, Executive Vice President
Posted at 01:41PM Dec 19, 2014 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ MetaModel™ as a Top-Level Project
Posted at 10:00AM Dec 09, 2014 by Sally in General | |