Entries tagged [cloud]
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® CloudStack® v 4.14
Mature Open Source Enterprise Cloud platform powers billions of dollars in transactions for the world's largest Cloud providers, Fortune 5 multinationals, educational institutions, and more.
Wakefield, MA —28 May 2020— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today Apache® CloudStack® 4.14, the latest version of the mature, turnkey enterprise Cloud orchestration platform.
Apache CloudStack is the proven, highly scalable IaaS platform of choice to rapidly and easily create private, public, and hybrid Cloud environments: it "just works". CloudStack originated at Cloud.com in 2010, which was acquired by Citrix in 2011. CloudStack was submitted to the Apache Incubator in 2012 and graduated as an Apache Top-Level Project (TLP) in March 2013.
Apache CloudStack includes the entire "stack" of features in an IaaS cloud: compute orchestration, Network-as-a-Service, user and account management, full and open native API, resource accounting, and a first-class user interface.
"v4.14 is an exciting release for Apache Cloudstack and is the result of many months of collaboration by our community," said Sven Vogel, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "We are introducing a number of major new features that have been driven by demand by users and operators of CloudStack based IaaS environments. At the same time, we have kept to the project's ethos of having a tightly defined scope and being the platform of choice on which to layer other services."
Of particular note are:
- Cloudstack Kubernetes Service gives operators the ability to deliver CaaS or K8aaS style services with no change to underlying infrastructure or business process
- VM Ingestion gives operators the ability to easily “import” existing VMware environments into Cloudstack
- The new backup and recovery framework, allows operators to integrate with any backup platform, giving a seamless user experience from the Cloudstack UI/API
"Apache Cloudstack 4.14 ships with a Technical Preview of Cloudstack’s new User Interface," added Vogel. "This presents a new, ‘enterprise feel’ user experience and is earmarked to replace the current UI. We are encouraging all Cloudstack users to explore the Technical Preview and give feedback to the community. Thank you to all of the contributors across our community who have made this release possible."
More than 200 new features, enhancements, and fixes include:
- New modern UI (Project Primate, Technical preview)
- Backup and Recovery framework
- Backup and Recovery provider for Veeam
- VM ingestion
- CloudStack Kubernetes Service
- L2 network PVLAN enhancements
- UEFI support
- KVM rolling maintenance
- Enable Direct Download for systemVM templates
- Template Direct Download support for Local and SharedMountPoint storages
- VR health checks
- Download logs and diagnostics data from SSVM/CPVM/VRs
- Enable additional configuration metadata to virtual machines
The full list of new features can be found in the project release notes at http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/188.8.131.52/releasenotes/index.html .
Apache CloudStack powers thousands of clouds and billions of dollars in transactions across an array of organizations that include Apple, BT, INRIA, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), SAP, Taiwan Mobile, Verizon, and WebMD, among others. A list of some of Apache CloudStack’s users are available at http://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html .
Highlighted in Forrester’s Enterprise Open Source Cloud Adoption report, Apache CloudStack "sits beneath hundreds of service provider Clouds", and is behind numerous elastic Cloud computing services, including those at Fortune 5 multinationals as well as solutions ranked as Gartner Magic Quadrant leaders.
Availability and Oversight
Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/cloudstack .
About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 813 individual Members and 7,800 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Amazon Web Services, Anonymous, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One, CarGurus. Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Handshake, Huawei, IBM, Inspur, Leaseweb, Microsoft, Pineapple Fund, Red Hat, Target, Tencent, Union Investment, Verizon Media, and Workday. For more information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF .
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #
Posted at 01:00PM May 28, 2020 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® CloudMonkey® v6.0
Apache CloudMonkey v6.0.0 is the latest major release since the previous major 5.x release in September 2013. CloudMonkey v6.0.0 is a rewrite of the original tool in Go programming language, and can be used both as an interactive shell and as a command line tool that simplifies CloudStack configuration and management.
- Rewrite in Go, ships as single binary for Linux, Mac, and Windows
- Drop-in replacement for legacy Python-based cloudmonkey
- About 5-20x faster than legacy Python-based cloudmonkey
- Interactive UX for parameter and arg completion and selection
- JSON is the default output format
- New column based output
- Enable debug mode using set debug true option, file-based logging removed
- Per server profile based API cache
- New syntax arg=@/path/to/file to pass the content of file as API argument value similar to curl
- Improve help docs using -h argument
- Removed: XML output, coloured output, several set options
"This release is the work of over one year of effort and driven by the people operating CloudStack clouds," said Rohit Yadav, Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey v6.0 author, and release manager. "I would like to thank the contributors across all of these organizations for supporting this release, which reflects both the user-driven nature of our community and the Apache CloudStack project's commitment to continue to be the most stable, easily deployable, scalable Open Source platform for IaaS. Along with ease of installation, usage and availability of cross-platform dependency-free builds including Windows builds, v6.0 brings many changes and optimizations such as more interactive shell for parameter completion, faster API requests processing, server profile specific API caching, improved API help docs and a new syntax to pass content of files as API parameter argument." More on the background and story behind the CloudMonkey 6.0 effort can be found at https://blogs.apache.org/cloudstack/entry/what-s-coming-in-cloudmonkey
Posted at 10:00AM Mar 20, 2019 by Sally in General | |
The Apache® Software Foundation Announces Agenda, Keynotes, and Sponsors for ApacheCon™ North America 2018
Community-driven conference series to gather dozens of Apache projects and their communities in Montréal to share and learn about the latest Open Source innovations in Big Data, Cloud, Finance, IoT, Machine Learning, Search, Servers, and more in a collaborative, vendor-neutral environment
Wakefield, MA —17 May 2018— The Apache® Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today the program for its official conference series, ApacheCon™, taking place 24-27 September 2018 in Montréal, Canada.
- Cliff Schmidt, Apache Member, former ASF Board member, and Literacy Bridge founder on how Amplio uses technology to educate and improve the quality of life of people living in very difficult parts of the world.
- Myrle Krantz, Apache Member and Vice President Apache Fineract, on how Open Source banking is helping the global fight against poverty.
- Bridget Kromhout, Principal Cloud Developer Advocate at Microsoft, on the really hard problem in software: the people.
- Euan McLeod, VP VIPER at Comcast, on the many ways that Apache software delivers your favorite shows to your living room.
Posted at 10:50AM May 17, 2018 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® CloudStack® v4.11
Wakefield, MA —12 February 2018— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today Apache® CloudStack® v4.11, the latest version of the turnkey enterprise Cloud orchestration platform.
Apache CloudStack is the proven, highly scalable, and easy-to-deploy IaaS platform used for rapidly creating private, public, and hybrid Cloud environments. Thousands of large-scale public Cloud providers and enterprise organizations use Apache CloudStack to enable billions of dollars worth of business transactions annually across their clouds.
"This is another great release," said Wido den Hollander, Vice President of Apache CloudStack. "The community has worked very hard to develop great new features and many enhancements to CloudStack. Together we are making the project better every single day."
Apache CloudStack v4.11 features more than 250 new capabilities, such as improved integration, stability, storage, networking support, and performance. Highlights include:
- new Host HA framework with an HA provider for KVM powered clouds;
- new certificate authority framework to support ongoing work in container & application clusters;
- integration with Prometheus;
- a connector for Cloudian Hyperstore S3 storage;
- deeper integration with Nuage SDN; and
- Layer 2 Networking capabilities.
The full list of new features can be found in the project release notes at http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/184.108.40.206/
"This release has been driven by the people operating CloudStack clouds,” said Rohit Yadav, Apache CloudStack v4.11 Release Manager. "I would like to thank the contributors across all of these organizations for supporting this release, which reflects both the user-driven nature of our community and the Apache CloudStack project's commitment to continue to be the most stable, easily deployable, scalable Open Source platform for IaaS. Along with great new features, v4.11 brings several important structural changes such as better support for systemd and Java 8, migration to embedded Jetty, and a new and optimized Debian 9 based systemvm template."
Apache CloudStack powers numerous elastic Cloud computing services, including solutions that have ranked as Gartner Magic Quadrant leaders. Highlighted in the Forrester Q4 2017 Enterprise Open Source Cloud Adoption report, Apache CloudStack "sits beneath hundreds of service provider clouds", including Fortune 5 multinational corporations. A list of known Apache CloudStack users are available at http://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html
"Apache CloudStack release 4.11 has impressive new content," said Kris Sterckx, CloudStack development lead at Nuage Networks. "More than any previous release, v4.11 leverages the value of Nuage Networks SDN with Nuage 5.0 support, SDN managed networks, per-interface DHCP options support and automation support for migrating deployed Apache CloudStack clouds from traditional Linux bridge networking to SDN/OVS based networking."
"At Interoute, we depend on Apache Cloudstack to help us deliver innovative and reliable IaaS services to our global customers," said Alex Mattioli, Chief Cloud Architect at Interoute. "The functionality in the 4.11 release shows that Cloudstack continues to be the most operator-focused IaaS platform available for large service providers, with a development community who are able to quickly develop what the market wants. Many of the features in this release have been created directly based on the needs of Interoute and our customers."
"Apache CloudStack 4.11 continues to bring innovative features and functionality to market through collaborative Open Source development," said Simon Weller, Director of Technology at Education Networks America. "We're particularly excited by the Host-HA framework, which brings a much greater level of hypervisor automation to KVM based service providers."
"Feedback from our community helps us solve real-world problems and strengthens our development process," added den Hollander. "I look forward to Apache CloudStack users and developers continuing to work closely together to make future releases even better!"
Catch Apache CloudStack in action 28 February 2018 at the German CloudStack Meetup in Frankfurt.
Availability and Oversight
Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CloudStack, visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack
About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 680 individual Members and 6,500 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One, Cash Store, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Inspur, iSIGMA, ODPi, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, PhoenixNAP, Pivotal, Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Union Investment, and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #
Posted at 11:00AM Feb 12, 2018 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Impala™ as a Top-Level Project
- A familiar SQL interface that data scientists and analysts already know;
- The ability to query high volumes of data (Big Data) in Apache Hadoop;
- Distributed queries in a cluster environment, for convenient scaling and to make use of cost-effective commodity hardware;
- The ability to share data files between different components with no copy or export/import step; for example, to write with Apache Pig, transform with Hive and query with Impala. Impala can read from and write to Hive tables, enabling simple data interchange using Impala for analytics on Hive-produced data; and
- A single system for big data processing and analytics, so customers can avoid costly modeling and ETL just for analytics.
"We use Apache Impala to boost performance of our SQL queries against our data lake," said Matteo Coloberti, Head of Analytics at Jobrapido. "Impala is an incredible service that gives us impressive performance on queries."
"We used to distribute Microsoft Excel reports to clients every one or two days but now they can search on their own by customer, sales deal, or even service type," said Andy Frey, CTO of Marketing Associates. "Apache Impala is used to query millions of rows to identify specific records that match the clients' criteria. We've even given clients a 'Query Hadoop' option that allows them to create simple SQL statements and query Hadoop directly via Impala. We're able to offer a faster, richer, and more accurate selection of services without the labor or latency concerns that we used to have."
About the Apache Incubator
The Apache Incubator is the entry path for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. All code donations from external organizations and existing external projects wishing to join the ASF enter through the Incubator to: 1) ensure all donations are in accordance with the ASF legal standards; and 2) develop new communities that adhere to our guiding principles. Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For more information, visit http://incubator.apache.org/
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Impala", "Apache Impala", "Hadoop", "Apache Hadoop", "Hive", "Apache Hive", "Kudu", "Apache Kudu", "Pig", "Apache Pig", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #
Posted at 11:00AM Nov 28, 2017 by Sally in General | |
ApacheCon: Tomorrow's Technology Today.
- Timely Content --learn first-hand from the largest collection of global Apache project communities through detailed sessions, and standalone tracks such as Apache: Big Data, Flex Project Summit, TomcatCon, Apache: IoT, and CloudStack Collaboration Conference. Breaking industry news? You'll hear it here first.
- Innovation Insight --presentations from the Apache Incubator (the ASF's hub for Open Source innovations, where a record 64 projects are currently undergoing development) include the latest developments in data science, Cloud, embedded systems, and many other categories, as well as industry-specific areas such as climate, microfinances, and cryptography. Learn what's next.
- Knowledge Exchange --meet the people behind dozens of Apache projects through ample networking opportunities including BarCampApache, hackathons, BoFs, and corridor discussions. Driving a project in new directions? Starting a new initiative? Ideation sparks here.
- Education --gain the latest skills with in-depth tutorials, trainings, and workshops with low student-to-instructor ratio. Classes are often led by the original creators and companies behind some of the most popular projects in Open Source.
- Sponsor Showcase and Expo --engage with some of the commercial products and service providers behind Apache project communities in a friendly, relaxed, non-sales environment.
- Conference Schedule published on 9 March 2017
Posted at 07:44PM Jan 26, 2017 by Sally in General | |
Announcing Apache® CloudStack™ v4.9
CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources. It supports a broad range of integration points for both traditional and Cloud-native workloads.
- Out-of-band power management of hosts through IPMI, iLO, DRAC
- Enhancements to CloudStack networking model including deeper integration with Nuage VSP SDN
- User defined security roles
- More than 180 minor enhancements and issues fixed
Apache CloudStack has been used by thousands of organizations worldwide and is in use/production at Alcatel-Lucent, Autodesk, BT Cloud, China Telecom, cloud.ca, Cloudops, Codero Hosting, DataPipe, Exoscale, Globo.com, GreenQloud, Hokkaido University, IDC Frontier, Ikoula, Interoute, KDDI, KT/Korea Telecom, LeaseWeb, NTT, Orange, PCextreme, Schuberg Philis, Shopzilla, Slovak Telekom, Tata, Telia Latvia, Trader Media Group, TomTom, University of Melbourne, University of São Paolo, Verizon, and WebMD among many others. A list of known users of the software can be found at http://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html
"Apache CloudStack has been at the very foundation of Telia CLOUDY SERVICES already for more than 3 years," said Mārtiņš Paurs, CCO of CLOUDY SERVICES by Telia Latvia. "After starting with regular IaaS services, during time it has taken over orchestration of Cloud based video surveillance, CDN and video lifecycle management workloads, all for the benefit of our customers. And CloudStack does it really well! The ease of use, stability, professional and community support, powerful features and scale we can achieve by using CloudStack has turned upside down the way and pace we innovate together with the very demanding market."
"cloud.ca is an avid supporter of Apache CloudStack not only because we value the stability and robustness of the platform, but because we highly value the power of the CloudStack community to drive innovation," said Mike Gero, Vice President of Product & Business Development at cloud.ca. "We look forward to benefiting from the myriad of improvements and fixes in CloudStack 4.9, as well as beginning to work with new features like the enhanced networking model."
"At University of São Paulo we are proud to be part of the Apache CloudStack community. We see the community playing a very strong role in solving many issues and providing ongoing effort to improve Apache CloudStack through recent versions, including 4.9," said Professor João Eduardo Ferreira, IT Office CIO, and Cyrano Rizzo, Sao Paulo IT Office Director, at University of São Paulo. "We are very happy to have adopted Apache CloudStack since 2012 as our main tool to run our infrastructure private cloud initiative of +500 hosts. Apache CloudStack is a professional-grade and very robust tool: we continue to use and encourage other institutions to use the same architecture."
CloudStack 4.9 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html. Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.
Governance and Oversight
Apache CloudStack is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.
Posted at 09:57PM Aug 22, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Mesos™ v1.0
- New HTTP API: One of the main areas of improvement in the 1.0 release, this API simplifies writing Mesos frameworks by allowing developers to write frameworks in any language via HTTP. The HTTP API also makes it easy to run frameworks behind firewalls and inside containers.
- Unified containerizer: This allows frameworks to launch Docker/Appc containers using the Mesos containerizer without relying on docker daemon (engine) or rkt. The isolation of the containers is done using isolators.
- CNI support: The network/cni isolator has been introduced in the Mesos containerizer to implement the Container Network Interface (CNI) specification proposed by CoreOS. With CNI, the network/cni isolator is able to allocate a network namespace to Mesos containers and attach the container to different types of IP networks by invoking network drivers called CNI plugins.
- GPU support: Support for using Nvidia GPUs as a resource in the Mesos "unified" containerizer. This support includes running containers with and without filesystem isolation (i.e., running both imageless containers as well as containers using a Docker image)
- Fine-grained authorization: Many of Mesos' API endpoints have added authentication and authorization, so that operators can now control which users can view which tasks/frameworks in the web UI and API, in addition to fine-grained access control over other operator APIs such as reservations, volumes, weights, and quota.
- Mesos on Windows: Support for running Mesos on the Windows operating system is currently in beta. The Mesos community is aiming for full support by late 2016.
Posted at 10:03AM Jul 27, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Libcloud™ v1.0
Posted at 10:00AM Jun 22, 2016 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ CloudStack™ v4.6
- NuageVsp Network Plugin
- Bind integration with Globo DNSAPI
- SAML 2.0 Plugin
- Managed storage for KVM
- Improved CloudByte Storage Plugin
- Use SSH for commands sent to Virtual-Router
- Baremetal Advanced Networking Support
- Instance Password Generation length can now be changed
- RHEL versions 6.3, 6.5, 6.6 and 7.0
- CentOS versions 6.6, 7.0
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- LXC Host Containers on RHEL 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (with Hyper-V Role enabled)
- Hyper-V 2012 R2
- CentOS 6.2+ with KVM
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 with KVM
- XenServer versions 6.1, 6.2 SP1 and 6.5 with latest hotfixes
- VMware versions 5.0 Update 3a, 5.1 Update 2a, and 5.5 Update 2
- RHEL or CentOS, v6.2 or 6.3
- Fedora 17
- Ubuntu 12.04
Posted at 11:00AM Dec 01, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Brooklyn™ as a Top-Level Project
Posted at 11:00AM Nov 23, 2015 by Sally in General | |
Summary of the Apache Roadshow 2015 - China
by Ted Liu, event organizing committee member, co-founder of KAIYUANSHE, and Principal Technical Evangelist, Open Technology Center, Microsoft China
On 24-25 October, The Apache Roadshow 2015 - China in Beijing was successfully concluded. It was organized by KAIYUANSHE (the first ground-up Chinese Open Source alliance co-founded by CSDN, GitCafe, GNOME.Asia, Microsoft Open Tech and Ubuntu Kylin in October 2014, and now with 50 Open Source community and enterprise members) together with the community sponsorship from The Apache Software Foundation (ASF). The roadshow was aimed to establish KAIYUANSHE as a leader in the Open Source communities in China and a bridge to the international and domestic Open Source communities.
With both onsite and online coverage, there were over 5,000 persons participated the roadshow, where 1,400 joined onsite in Beijing, 3,370 watched the live streaming video (avg. 23 minutes viewing), and 200+ college students and community members attended the 4 regional sessions in Hebei, Henan, Xi'An, and Shanghai.
We have received many solid feedbacks so far:
- Brett Porter, chairman of ASF, greeted in his Wechat message "Thank you everyone-it was wonderful to spend the time with you. Thanks again to the organizers and volunteers on such as a great event".
- Niclas Hedhman, VP of Apache Zest, whose gave keynote about Apache Incubation, wishes to have this roadshow recur regularly.
- J. Aaron Farr, member of ASF Incubator, who gave keynote about "The Open Source Experience of League of Legends", commented that the Apache Roadshow 2015 – China, is one of the best Apache event in the Greater China region he ever attended.
- Many Chinese Apache committers, contributors and users are very eager to participate more China-specific Apache project-related communications, online discussion groups, meetups and even an Apache China Community formation more timely and frequently.
More highlights & details
With very limited funding and resources, we made this Roadshow happen thanking the joint efforts of KAIYUANSHE members, the sponsors – Alauda, Dataman, Easemob, eBay, Intel, Liepin.com and Microsoft, the community partners - OSS Association of China Academy of Sciences, Vzhibo, Huodongxing, Jikexueyuan, and Huazhang Press, and our media partner CSDN who did vigorous promotion, speakers & audience invitation. And don't forget the 80+ lovely and energetic volunteers from China Academy of Sciences University and Peking University. This demonstrated the grassroots community spirit called "Community-Led Greatness".
The roadshow was very fruitful with 10 breathtaking spotlights:
1. Keynote speech: 6 iconic keynoters spoke about community-led development (The Apache Way), Cloud computing, Big Data, Open Source software development, project incubation, and real world use cases of Apache technology, such as in the video game League of Legends.
- Brett Porter keynote https://youtu.be/ryI4Ctz4Mxg
- David Nalley keynote https://youtu.be/8XmWrVcu7o0
- Executive Panel (Brett Porter, David Nalley, Jason Dai – Intel and Lang moderated by Kevin Huang from OIN) https://youtu.be/kW-bmjW1sck
- J. Aaron Farr keynote https://youtu.be/-4qI_oOj5so
- Niclas Hedhman keynote https://youtu.be/N3FfC8-oUsU
- Julia Liuson keynote https://youtu.be/LIP8LUplzdc
2. Executive Panel: Regarding to Community-Led Development, Gurus passionately probed into the practices of international communities and the thinking, expectation and challenges of Chinese Open Source movement, as well as encourages diversified participation of different races and females since international communities are mostly dominated by white men.
- Executive Panel (J. Aaron Farr, Niclas Hedhman, and Julia Liuson, moderated by Michelle Chen) https://youtu.be/W9VddiDz208
3. Gurus speech: 40 Chinese technical and community gurus shared knowledge about Apache project-related, cutting-edge Big Data and Cloud computing, trend, architecture and application of Open Source software development, and practices of community governance and construction building.
4. Project incubation: The keynote by Niclas Hedhman the co-founder and Vice President of Apache Zest, shared in-depth the processes of joining the Incubation and the graduation. This topic is one of the most interested area by the Chinese audience.
5. Women for OSS Panel: 6 Chinese female Open Source contributors shared their journeys in participating Open Source and holding up half the sky.
6. AMPCamp: Learning by doing. Teachers conducted lectures onsite guidance to help you quickly get started with the Apache Spark technologies through hands-on lab.
7. Open Source Roundtable: More than 30 international and domestic leaders carried out in-depth and heated discussions over Cloud computing, Big Data, Open Source software development and community governance & building. Onsite communication went in a warm way. The sparks between ardent opinions actually reflect the development status of Chinese Open Source. Experts argued vehemently, yielded real stuff and uttered golden words now and then, which was a highlight of the Apache Roadshow.
8. Networking & Connecting: In addition to the Apache Night networking parties on October 24 and 25, 16 one-on-one meetings between speakers/sponsors and the Apache leaders were arranged.
9. Regional Coverage: 4 regional sessions hosted by 3 universities and a community with 200+ attendees gathered to watch and discuss the video broadcast of the Roadshow. This was a good start to advance Open Source software movements jointly by the IT industry and the academic institutes.
A touching story here: Mr. Oukan Chen, the organizer of the Apache Roadshow Shanghai session, sponsored by Shanghai Donghua University & Linuxer Community, is a disabled person who cannot speak or walk and can only express himself using his chin to type words in an extremely difficult way with his father's help. This doesn't stop him from being a solid OSS community contributor.
10. MSFT Center One Tour: More than 50 guests are invited to visit Microsoft Center One and witnessed the amazing development & deployment of the latest technologies such as Cloud computing, Big Data, mobile computing, enterprise productivity, Internet of Things, smart home, environmental protection and energy saving.
In celebrating the 1024 Programmer Day in China, a pleasant surprise occurred at the Roadshow closing ceremony. Anders Hejlsberg, father of C#/Delphi/TypeScript, delivered a short greeting speech followed by Q&A. David Nalley wrapped up the whole event with his inspiring closing remarks. The atmosphere was hot and the roadshow concluded perfectly.
- All presentations, videos, speech scripts, photos are in the KAIYUANSHE Forum ready for downloading http://www.kaiyuanshe.cn/portal/thread/45.html#56. ASF keynoter videos will be placed on YouTube.
- To keep the momentum rolling by mobilizing the continuous communications and discussions around Apache projects and potentially the formation of the ground-up Apache China community.
- AMPCamp Beijing event and the hands-on-lab environment have attracted a number of communities, enterprises, and government agencies for a series of upcoming camps, hands-on-lab and hackathons.
- We plan to run the roadshow at least annually with ASF blessing and support going forward.
Thank You All!
- Our keynoters - Brett Porter, David Nalley, Niclas Hedhman, J. Aaron Farr, who traveled afar to attend and deliver non-stop contributions, including speeches, panels, one-on-one meetings, roundtables, Apache Night cocktail parties, etc.
- Special Thanks to Ross Gardler, the president of ASF, who provided advices and support all along and helped connect with ASF and many interested speakers.
- The roadshow steering committee: Ted Liu, Emily Chen, Zhidi Shang, Mabel Li, Hao Zhong, Richard Lin, Jack Yu, Yujuan Zhang for their all-in dedication.
- Our honorable breakout & lightning talk speakers and roundtable guests.
- The 80+ lovely volunteers from China Academy of Sciences and Peking University.
- Our sponsors, Alauda, MSFT, eBay, Easemob, Dataman, Intel, Liepin.com for their kind sponsorship and support.
Posted at 09:38PM Nov 12, 2015 by Sally in General | |
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Drill™ 1.0
The business intelligence (BI) partner ecosystem is embracing the power of Apache Drill. Organizations such as Information Builders, JReport (Jinfonet Software), MicroStrategy, Qlik®, Simba, Tableau, and TIBCO, are working closely with the Drill community to interoperate BI tools with Drill through standard ODBC and JDBC connectivity. This collaboration enables end users to explore data by leveraging sophisticated visualization tools and advanced analytics.
"We've been using Apache Drill for the past six months," said Andrew Hamilton, CTO of Cardlytics. "Its ease of deployment and use along with its ability to quickly process trillions of records has made it an invaluable tool inside Cardlytics. Queries that were previously insurmountable are now common occurrence. Congratulations to the Drill community on this momentous occasion."
"Drill's columnar execution engine and optimizer take full advantage of Apache Parquet's columnar storage to achieve maximum performance," said Julien Le Dem, Technical Lead of Analytics Data Pipeline at Twitter and Vice President of Apache Parquet. "The Drill team has been a key contributor to the Parquet project, including recent enhancements to Parquet types and vectorization. The Drill team’s involvement in the Parquet community is instrumental in driving the standard."
"Apache Drill 1.0 raises the bar for secure, reliable and scalable SQL-on-Hadoop," said Piyush Bhargava, distinguished engineer, IT, Cisco Systems. "Because Drill integrates with existing data virtualization and visualization tools, we expect it will improve adoption of self-service data exploration and large-scale BI queries on our advanced Hadoop platform at Cisco."
Posted at 04:44PM May 19, 2015 by Sally in General | |
Apache CouchDB™ Adds Clustering and Big Data Capabilities With 2.0 Developer Preview Release of Its Popular NoSQL Database
Horizontal scalability and distributed workloads brings enterprise functionality to the database that kickstarted the NoSQL movement.
At ApacheCon Europe 2014, the Apache CouchDB™ project today announced a Developer Preview release of its CouchDB 2.0 document database. The Developer Preview release brings all-new clustering technology to the Open Source NoSQL database, enabling a range of big data capabilities that include being able to store, replicate, sync, and process large amounts of data distributed across individual servers, data centers, and geographical regions in any deployment configuration, including private, hybrid, and multi-cloud.
"The Developer Preview release of CouchDB 2.0 delivers on our goal of bringing Apache CouchDB to the enterprise," said Jan Lehnardt, Vice President of Apache CouchDB. "Flexibility and scalability are becoming increasingly important, and it's crucial that data can be stored wherever, accessed whenever, and processed however. Combined with the success of our unique sync protocol that enables flawless mobile-first and offline work capabilities, clustering promises to propel CouchDB into the core of many business."
Apache CouchDB is the database that kickstarted the NoSQL movement. It has been built from the ground up with high performance and fault-tolerance in mind. Unlike SQL, NoSQL frees developers from having to make any decisions in advance, allowing data to be captured in any form, with structuring, filtering, and querying being done after the fact.
In earlier versions of CouchDB, databases could be replicated across as many individual servers as needed, but each server was limited by vertical scaling. With the clustering introduced in the Developer Preview, databases can now be distributed across many servers, adding horizontal scaling capability to CouchDB. This technology works by borrowing many principles from Amazon's Dynamo paper, and improves the overall performance, durability, and high-availability of large-scale CouchDB deployments.
Also in the Developer Preview
Other additions in the Developer Preview include a faster database compactor, a faster replicator, easier setup, re-organised code for easier contributions, a global changes feed, and improved test coverage. This version of CouchDB also includes a new Web dashboard admin interface called Fauxton, with improved user experience design, rich query editors, and a management interface for replication. (A screenshot of Fauxton is available at https://cloudup.com/cQXYSXhhSLj)
Beyond CouchDB 2.0
Also announced today are plans for upcoming new features, including a declarative ad-hoc querying system that standardises around the de facto MongoDB query syntax. This feature promises to open up CouchDB to a whole new segment of developers familiar with SQL who want to use something that feels familiar and allows for casual use.
The Apache CouchDB community encourages feedback as it works towards the 2.0 General Availability release, which is expected early 2015. Those interested in becoming involved with Apache CouchDB are invited to participate in or contribute to any of the project's three IRC channels, eight mailing lists, or 45 Git repositories.
Governance and Oversight
As with all Apache products, CouchDB software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. The Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.
About Apache CouchDB™
Apache CouchDB is the database that kickstarted the NoSQL movement. It has been built from the ground up with high performance and fault-tolerance in mind. CouchDB enables users to easily store, replicate, sync, and process large amounts of data, distributed across mobile devices, servers, data centers, and geographical regions in any deployment configuration, including private, hybrid, and multi-cloud environments.
CouchDB entered the Apache Incubator in February 2008 and became an Apache Top-level Project in November of the same year. Visit http://couchdb.apache.org/ for downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CouchDB.
© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CouchDB", "Apache CouchDB", the Apache CouchDB logo, and the Apache feather logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
# # #
Announcing Apache™ CloudStack™ v4.4.1
Mature, easy-to-deploy Open Source Cloud computing software platform boasts improved efficiency and performance.
Forest Hill, MD —22 October 2014— The Apache CloudStack project today announced the immediate availability of Apache CloudStack v4.4.1, the latest version of the turnkey Open Source cloud computing software platform used for creating private-, public-, and hybrid cloud environments.
Apache CloudStack clouds enable billions of dollars' worth of business transactions annually across their clouds, and its maturity and stability has led it to has become the Open Source platform for many service providers to set up on-demand, elastic public cloud computing services, as well as enterprises and others to set up a private or hybrid cloud for use by their own employees.
"We are delighted to be releasing version 4.4.1 of Apache CloudStack," said Giles Sirett, member of the Apache CloudStack Project Management Committee. "This latest version of CloudStack reflects months of hard work by our diverse developer community and brings even more features to help our service-provider and enterprise users enhance their cloud platforms. Apache CloudStack continues to grow in both deployments and developer community size, and is the platform of choice for thousands of organisations that need to build IaaS environments quickly and securely with a proven, production-grade, technology."
Lauded by Gartner Group, CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources.
CloudStack v4.4.1 reflects dozens of new features and improvements, including:
- Improved Storage Management
- Virtual Private Cloud tiers can now span guest networks across availability zones
- Support for VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler
- Improved Support for Hyper-V Zones, VPC and Storage Migration
CloudStack v4.4.1 is available immediately as a free download from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html. Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0.