The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 27 May 2016
It's been a whirlwind week of Apache-focused events, with dozens more on the horizon. Here's what happened:
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business and affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's Bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 15 June 2016. Board calendar and minutes available at http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on four continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield fabulous performance at 98.83% uptime http://status.apache.org/
ApacheCon™ –the official conference series of The Apache Software Foundation.
- Session recordings are available at http://feathercast.apache.org/tag/apacheconna2016/
- Next up: Europe! 14-18 November 2016 in Seville, Spain. Watch this space http://apachecon.com/
Apache Apex™ Malhar –library for enterprise-grade native YARN Big Data-in-motion platform that unifies stream and batch processing.
- Apache Apex Malhar 3.4.0 released http://apex.apache.org/downloads.html
Apache Avro™ –a data serialization system.
- Apache Avro 1.8.1 released https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
Apache Commons™ –focuses on all aspects of reusable Java components.
- Apache Commons git repositories now writable for all ASF committers http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201605.mbox/%3CCAB917RJCz4Vx_R6D8S35TbbX_yfDrNaxBsxVEX2ARfaKwVh8sA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Commons™ RDF –a common library for RDF 1.1 that could be implemented by systems on the Java Virtual Machine.
- Apache CommonsRDF 0.2.0-incubating released http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download.html
Apache Commons™ VFS –provides a single API for accessing various different file systems.
- Apache Commons VFS 2.1 released http://commons.apache.org/vfs/download_vfs.cgi
Apache Kafka™ –a distributed, fault tolerant, publish-subscribe messaging.
- Apache Kafka 0.10.0.0 released https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/kafka/0.10.0.0/kafka-0.10.0.0-src.tgz
Apache Kylin™ –extreme OLAP Engine for Big Data.
- Apache Kylin 1.5.2 released https://kylin.apache.org/download/
Apache PDFBox™ –an Open Source Java tool for working with PDF documents.
- Apache PDFBox XML External Entity vulnerability http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201605.mbox/%3C83a03bcf-f86b-4688-37b5-615c080291d8%40apache.org%3E
Apache Tika™ –parses XML within numerous file formats.
- Apache Tika XML External Entity vulnerability http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201605.mbox/%3C463949184.1323918.1464290785225.JavaMail.yahoo%40mail.yahoo.com%3E
Apache TinkerPop™ –a graph computing framework written in Java.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® TinkerPop™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/V7gl
Apache Tomcat™ – an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies.
- Apache Tomcat 8.0.35 released http://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi
Apache Yetus™ –a collection of libraries and tools that enable contribution and release processes for software projects.
- Apache Yetus 0.3.0 released https://yetus.apache.org/downloads/
Apache Zeppelin™ –Big Data analytics and visualization notebook.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Zeppelin™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/YqqP
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Apache Trafodion (incubating) was recognized as a great example of female participation in Open Source? http://trafodion.apache.org/
- Did you know that Apple Siri completes full ring replication around the world in 10 seconds using Apache HBase? https://hbase.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities https://helpwanted.apache.org/
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- Hadoop as a Service hands-on workshop with intro will be held 27 May 2016 in Luleå http://www.meetup.com/Lulea-Datacenter-Meetup/events/230986653/
- Introduction to Kafka will be held 27 May 2016 in Delhi http://www.meetup.com/Reactive-Application-Programmers-in-Delhi-NCR/events/231210980/
- Cassandra Day Workshop will be held 28 May 2016 in Santiago http://www.meetup.com/Santo-Domingo-Cassandra-Users/events/231118875/
- Machine learning pipelines with Spark ML will be held 28 May 2016 in Bangalore http://www.meetup.com/Bangalore-Apache-Spark-Meetup/events/230898948/
- BigData/Cloud/IoT workshop featuring Apache Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka will be held 29 May 2016 in Bangalore http://www.meetup.com/Siliconvalley4u-Bangalore-conference/events/231305993/
- The Zürich Apache Spark Meetup will be held 30 May 2016 http://www.meetup.com/spark-zurich/events/230920729/
- Building effective near-real-time analytics with Spark Streaming and Kudu will be held 31 May 2016 in New York http://www.meetup.com/NY-Cloudera-User-Group/events/231236816/
- Apache Kafka will be featured at the 28th Big Data London Meetup on 31 May 2016 in London http://www.meetup.com/big-data-london/events/231391408/
- Lyon Cassandra Users will meet 31 May 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Lyon-Cassandra-Users/events/229067623/
- Cassandra London will be co-located with London NoSQL on 31 May 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Cassandra-London/events/230924726/
- Montreal Apache Spark Meetup will be held 31 May 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Apache-Spark-Meetup/events/231285569/
- Apache Solr 6 will be previewed at Search Usergroup Berlin on 31 May 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Search-UG-Berlin/events/231196347/
- Monitoring Big Data Streaming Applications & Apache Apex (Hadoop) operations will be held 1 June 2016 in San Jose http://www.meetup.com/Apex-Bay-Area-Chapter/events/231205152/
- Nürnberg Big Data Meetup will hold Machine Learning mit Apache Spark on 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Nuernberg-Big-Data/events/231022066/
- Apache Spark 201 - Staying Sane in Production Environments will be held 1 June 2016 in San Francisco http://www.meetup.com/SF-Spark-and-Friends/events/231081007/
- Domain Drive Design London will present Closing the feedback loop with Apache Isis on 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/dddlondon/events/230722213/
- Women Who Code NYC will present Apache Spark Workshop @ XO Group on 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/WomenWhoCodeNYC/events/230198894/
- Data Science London Meetup @Strata+Hadoop World 2016 will take place 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Data-Science-London/events/231266903/
- "Big Things" - First Data Hackathon will be held 1 June 2016 in Tel Aviv-Yafo http://www.meetup.com/Big-things-are-happening-here/events/230339692/
- Hadoop Users Group UK MeetUP @ Strata+Hadoop World 2016 will be held 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/hadoop-users-group-uk/events/231136008/
- The Colorado Springs Open Source Software Meetup Group will hold What is all the Hype about w/Apache Spark? on 1 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/csopensource/events/230867584/
- MesosCon will be held 1-2 June 2016 in Denver http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/
- The next CloudStack Collaboration Conference will take place 1-3 June 2016 in Montreal https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/apache-cloudstacktm-conference-montreal-2016-tickets-23815552960
- Monitoring Big Data Streaming Applications & Apache Apex (Hadoop) operations will be held 2 June in Delhi http://www.meetup.com/Big-Data-native-Hadoop-Ingest-and-Transform-Delhi-Chapter/events/231275421/
- Apache NiFi Hackathon and Office Hours will be held 2 June 2016 in Columbia http://www.meetup.com/ApacheNiFi/events/230804255/
- Scalable Data Science Course will feature Apache Spark on 2 June 2016 in Christchurch http://www.meetup.com/Christchurch-Apache-Spark-Meetup/events/230926222/
- Big Data - No Fluff - lets get started with Hadoop #7 will be held 2 June 2016 in Oslo http://www.meetup.com/Oslo-Hadoop-Big-Data-Meetup/events/225589995/
- Los Angeles Apache Spark Users Group, Big Data Users Group, MySQL Meetup Group, and Deep Learning & Big Data Science will meet 2 June 2016 in Santa Monica http://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Apache-Spark-Users-Group/events/230125180/
- Taking Spark To The Clouds and Incremental Updates in Machine Learning Models will be held 2 June 2016 in Portland http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Spark-User-Group/events/230718186/
- Future of Data: New York will present Curb Your Insecurity - Tips for a Secure Cluster (with Spark too) on 2 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/futureofdata-newyork/events/230155297/
- CI and CD at Scale: Scaling Jenkins with Docker and Apache Mesos will be presented 2 June 2016 in Boulder http://www.meetup.com/Boulder-Jenkins-Area-Meetup/events/231165102/
- Houston Hadoop and Spark Meetup Group present Apache Zeppelin for interactive data analytics on 2 June 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Hadoop-Meetup-Group/events/231100012/
- Berlin Buzzwords will be held 5-7 June 2016 http://berlinbuzzwords.de/
- The CloudStack European User Group will take place 16 June 2016 in Berlin https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cloudstack-european-user-group-tickets-23036757562
- Atlanta Hadoop Users Group present Cutting edge with HBASE on 17 August 2016 http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Hadoop-Users-Group/events/230344766/
- CFP is open for the next Cassandra Summit 7-9 September 2016 in San Jose https://cfp.cassandrasummit.org/
- CloudStack Collaboration Conference Brasil will take place 29-30 September 2016 in Sao Paolo http://cloudstack.usp.br/en/index.php
- ApacheCon Europe will take place 14-18 November 2016 in Seville, Spain http://apachecon.com/
- The Apache Software Foundation Operations Summary: Third Quarter, Fiscal Year 2016 (November 2015 - January 2016) is availbable at https://s.apache.org/9zLj
# # #
Posted at 01:30PM May 27, 2016 by Sally Khudairi in General | |