The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 22 May 2015
It's been a great week at Apache! Here's what we've been up to:
ASF Governance –the ASF Board has appointed the following corporate officers: Chairman - Brett Porter; Vice Chairman - Greg Stein; President - Ross Gardler; Executive Vice President - Rich Bowen; Treasurer - Chris Mattmann; co-Assistant Treasurers - Jan Iversen and Kevin McGrail; Secretary - Craig L Russell http://apache.org/foundation/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on four continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- Uptime over the past week is a fantastic 99.79% http://status.apache.org/
ASF Security –a team comprising ASF Members dedicated to helping and advising Apache projects on security issues, as well as co-ordinating the handling of security vulnerabilities.
- CVE-2015-1772: Apache Hive Authentication vulnerability in HiveServer2 http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201505.mbox/%3CCAOpgucy52yzNN1FaRcxwhZmx8ZtNRjmK6V0Bxk4svAD-R1q70Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Accumulo™ –robust, scalable, high performance data storage system that features cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing, and is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Apache Zookeeper, and Apache Thrift.
- Apache Accumulo 1.7.0 released http://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/
Apache DeltaSpike™ –not a CDI-container, but a portable CDI extension.
- Apache DeltaSpike 1.4.0 released http://deltaspike.apache.org/documentation/
Apache Drill™ –Open Source, enterprise-grade, schema-free SQL query engine for Apache Hadoop, NoSQL, and Cloud storage.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Drill http://s.apache.org/Id8
Apache Hive™ –data warehouse software built on top of Apache Hadoop that facilitates querying and managing large datasets residing in distributed storage.
- Apache Hive 1.2.0 released https://hive.apache.org/downloads.html
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a fully compliant implementation of the Content Repository for Java(TM) Technology API, version 2.0 (JCR 2.0) as specified in the Java Specification Request 283 (JSR 283).
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.10.1 and Jackrabbit Oak 1.0.14 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.html
Apache Log4j™ –a well-known framework for logging application behavior. Log4j 2 is an upgrade to Log4j that provides significant improvements over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x, and provides many other modern features such as support for Markers, property substitution using Lookups, and asynchronous Loggers.
- Apache Log4j 2.3 released http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/
Apache NiFi (Incubating) –an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and distribute data; made for dataflow.
- Apache NiFi 0.1.0-incubating released http://nifi.incubator.apache.org/download.html
Apache Parquet™ –a general-purpose columnar storage format, built for Hadoop, usable with any choice of data processing framework, data model, or programming language.
- Apache Parquet MR 1.7.0 released https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/parquet/parquet-1.7.0/
Apache Slider (Incubating) –a YARN application that deploys existing distributed applications on YARN, monitors them, and makes them larger or smaller as desired - even while the application is running.
- Apache Slider 0.80.0-incubating released http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/slider/0.80.0-incubating
Apache Tomcat™ –an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies.
- Apache Tomcat 7.0.62 released http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Apache Tomcat is the most widely used Java EE container with 58.66% of the 2015 application server market?
- Did you know that healthcare insurance provider Oscar uses Apache Aurora's cluster compute framework and Apache Mesos for scheduling?
- Did you know that the European Commission's MICO project uses Apache Marmotta for Linked Data?
Apache Community Notices:
- Reminder: How to Safely Download Apache OpenOffice http://s.apache.org/a1R
- Audio recordings from select tracks from ApacheCon Austin are available at http://feathercast.apache.org/ includes Cloud, Community, httpd, and Apache HTTP Server Founder's panel!
- Presentations from ApacheCon Austin are available online http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/program/slides
- Apache CouchDB is seeking design and editorial assistance in English http://markmail.org/thread/dgvjpwnxie6pji5j
- The Apache Drill MeetUp on 26 May will be held in Los Gatos and feature Apache Kylin http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Apache-Drill-User-Group/events/221764407/
- The next Lucene/Solr London User Group meetup will take place 4 June http://www.meetup.com/Apache-Lucene-Solr-London-User-Group/events/222476050/
- Submit your proposal for CloudStack Days Seattle (co-located with LinuxCon) by 12 June http://clds.co/18hplxk
- The Karlsruhe DevOps Meetup featuring Apache Mesos and Aurora will be held 16 June http://www.meetup.com/DevOps-Karlsruhe-Meetup/events/222465491/
- MesosCon will be held 20-21 August in Seattle https://mesoscon2015.sched.org/
- ApacheCon Europe will be held 28 September - 1 October in Budapest http://apachecon.com/
- The first Apache Flink Conference, Flink Forward, will be held 12-13 October in Berlin http://flink-forward.org
- CFP open for Lucene/Solr Revolution, to be held 13-16 October in Austin http://www.lucenerevolution.org
# # #
Posted at 05:28PM May 22, 2015 by Sally Khudairi in General | |