The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 16 November 2018
Mid-month already! Here's what happened with the Apache community over the past week:
Support Apache –help offset the ASF's day-to-day operating expenses and keep Apache software for everyone.
- Join Bloomberg, Google, Microsoft, and other organizations who have established workplace giving programs that benefit the ASF. Supporting Apache is easy! Here are some of the ways to get started http://apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 21 November. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series, now in its 20th year.
- POSTPONED: Apache Roadshow DC/Open Source Job Fair. Watch this space for new dates.
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield fine performance at 98.32% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
Apache Code Snapshot –this week, 479 Apache contributors changed 1,108,998 lines of code over 2,745 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Alex Harui, Yonatan Gottesman, Tilman Hausherr, Zoran Regvart, and Mark Thomas.
Apache Bahir™ –provides extensions to multiple distributed analytic platforms, extending their reach with a diversity of streaming connectors and SQL data sources.
- Apache Bahir 2.1.3 and 2.2.2 released https://bahir.apache.org/
Apache Directory™ Fortress –a computer security access management facility written in Java.
- Apache Fortress 2.0.3 released https://directory.apache.org/
Apache Groovy™ –a multi-faceted language for the Java platform.
- Apache Groovy 2.5.4 released https://groovy.apache.org/
Apache Hive™ –Big Data warehouse software that facilitates querying and managing large datasets residing in distributed storage.
- [SECURITY] CVE-2018-1314: Hive explain query not being authorized http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201811.mbox/%3CCABDpyChoSC%2BO_whkL_7Zh4ZMiXf7qmWpKoa-hep0dS6MTnJYJA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
- [SECURITY] CVE-2018-11777: Blocking local resource access in HiveServer2 http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201811.mbox/%3CCABDpyCjx%2BGpPvEW1mreZPnqCmqBYmAVk3s5NUx4ZGnQKcj7aGg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a fully compliant implementation of the Content Repository for Java(TM) Technology API, version 2.0 (JCR 2.0) as specified in the Java Specification Request 283 (JSR 283).
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.9.11 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache James™ –provides a complete, stable, secure and extendable Mail Servers running on the JVM.
- Apache James 3.2.0 released https://james.apache.org/
Apache Juneau™ –universal serialization and REST API library.
- Apache Juneau 7.2.2 released http://juneau.apache.org/
Apache Kafka™ –a distributed, fault tolerant, publish-subscribe messaging.
- Apache Kafka 2.0.1 released https://kafka.apache.org/
Apache Libcloud™ –a Python library that abstracts away the differences among multiple cloud provider APIs.
- Apache Libcloud 2.4.0 released https://libcloud.apache.org/
Apache OpenWebBeans™ –a CDI container (Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java) and targets the CDI-2.0 specification (JavaEE 8).
- Apache OpenWebBeans-2.0.8 CDI container released https://openwebbeans.apache.org/
Apache Phoenix™ –enables OLTP and SQL-based operational analytics for Apache Hadoop.
- Apache Phoenix 4.14.1 released http://phoenix.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ –AMQP enterprise messaging implementation.
- [SECURITY] [CVE-2018-17187] Apache Qpid Proton-J transport TLS wrapper hostname verification mode not implemented http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201811.mbox/%3CCAFitrpQSV73Vz7rJYfLJK7gvEymZSCR5ooWUeU8j4jzRydk-eg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Struts™ –popular Open Source framework for creating Java Web applications.
- Apache Struts 2.3.x End-Of-Life (EOL) Announcement https://struts.apache.org/announce#a20181114
Apache Toree (incubating) –a kernel for the Jupyter Notebook platform providing interactive and remote access to Apache Spark.
- Apache Toree 0.3.0-incubating released https://toree.incubator.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that you can catch up on presentations from ApacheCon and other interviews from the Apache community on Feathercast, the voice of the ASF? https://feathercast.apache.org/
- Did you know that Apache Royale is preparing for a new release? Here's how you can help https://twitter.com/ApacheRoyale/status/1062964775527874560
- Did you know that Apache Kylin has more than a thousand users, including AT&T, Baidu, DiDi Chuxing, eBay, Expedia, Yahoo Japan, and more? http://kylin.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- ASF Operations Summary: Q1 FY2019 https://s.apache.org/qiKn
- ASF Annual Report for FY2018 https://s.apache.org/FY2018AnnualReport
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://events.apache.org/event/meetups.html
- Flink Forward China will take place 21-22 December 2018 in Beijing https://china-2018.flink-forward.org/call-for-presentations-submit-talk/
- The Apache Big Data community will be at DataWorks Summit 18-21 March 2019 in Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019 in Washington DC https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Future dates for Spark + AI Summit 2019 announced: 23-25 April/San Francisco and 15-17 October/Amsterdam https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/
- Block your calendars for ApacheCon North America: taking place in September 2019; announcing dates and details soon. http://apachecon.com/
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator, OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/
# # #
Posted at 03:04PM Nov 16, 2018 by Sally in General | |