The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 28 September 2018
We're wrapping up September bursting with Apache goodness. Here's what happened this week:
Support Apache –help offset the ASF's day-to-day operating expenses and keep Apache software for everyone.
- Buy Apache-branded swag and benefit the Apache community at-large ...(more projects added soon; spread the word!) https://www.redbubble.com/people/comdev/
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 17 October. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series, now in its 20th year.
- ApacheCon North America is a wrap: catch presentations and interviews via Feathercast https://feathercast.apache.org/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/TheApacheFoundation
- Up Next: Apache Roadshow DC and Open Source Job Fair 4 December. CFP open through 15 October; registration open http://www.apachecon.com/usroadshow18/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield perky performance at 99.39% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 514 Apache contributors changed 1,318,698 lines of code over 3,127 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Dewayne Richardson, Jeremy Mitchell, Gary Gregory, Hendrik Krohns, and Andrea Cosentino.
Apache Allura™ –an Open Source implementation of a software forge, a Web site that manages source code repositories, bug reports, discussions, wiki pages, blogs, and more for any number of individual projects.
- Apache Allura 1.9.0 released https://allura.apache.org/
Apache Commons™ Lang –provides helper utilities for the java.lang API, notably String manipulation methods, basic numerical methods, object reflection, concurrency, creation and serialization and System properties.
- Apache Commons Lang 3.8.1 released https://commons.apache.org/
Apache HAWQ™ –combines exceptional MPP-based analytics performance, robust ANSI SQL compliance, Hadoop ecosystem integration and manageability, and flexible data-store format support, all natively in Hadoop, no connectors required.
- Apache HAWQ 220.127.116.11 released http://hawq.apache.org/
Apache HBase™ –an Open Source, distributed, versioned, non-relational database.
- Apache HBase 1.2.7 released http://hbase.apache.org/
Apache Juneau™ –a toolkit for marshalling POJOs to a wide variety of content types using a common framework, and for creating sophisticated self-documenting REST interfaces and microservices using very little code.
- Apache Juneau 7.2.0 released http://juneau.apache.org/
Apache Lucene™ and Solr –the popular, blazing fast, Open Source NoSQL search platform from the Apache Lucene project.
- Apache Lucene 7.5.0, Apache Solr 7.5.0, and Solr Reference Guide for 7.5 released http://lucene.apache.org/
Apache Parquet™ –a general-purpose columnar file format supporting nested data.
- Apache Parquet C++ 1.5.0 released http://parquet.apache.org/
Apache PDFBox™ –an Open Source Java library for working with PDF documents.
- Apache PDFBox JBIG2 ImageIO plugin 3.0.2 http://pdfbox.apache.org/
Apache Pulsar™ –a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on commodity hardware.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Pulsar™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/DLL1
Apache Struts™ –Open Source framework for creating Java web applications.
- CVE-2018-11776 - RCE when using alwaysSelectFullNamespace http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201809.mbox/%3CCAMopvkPK6eEWAga0OQYU_NsVHXHdMzvqQeYrAS9px5F_HbG_Qw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Traffic Server™ –an HTTP proxy cache.
- Apache Traffic Server v8.0.0 released https://trafficserver.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Apache Beam, MXNet, Pulsar, Spark, Solr, and Zipkin (incubating) all won InfoWorld BOSSIE awards? https://www.infoworld.com/article/3306843/open-source-tools/bossies-2018-the-best-of-open-source-software-awards.html
- Did you know that the Apache HTTP Server can be used as a load balancer when acting as a reverse proxy? http://httpd.apache.org/
- Did you know that you can help Apache Struts test their next release? https://twitter.com/TheApacheStruts/status/1045570628206698496
Apache Community Notices:
- ASF Operations Summary: Q1 FY2019 https://s.apache.org/qiKn
- ASF Annual Report for FY2018 https://s.apache.org/FY2018AnnualReport
- The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q
- Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://events.apache.org/event/meetups.html
- The Apache Spark community will be presenting at In-Memory Computing Summit North America 2-3 October in San Francicso https://www.imcsummit.org/2018/us/
- The Apache Big Data community will be at DataWorks Summit 18-21 March 2019 in Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019 in Washington DC https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator, OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/
# # #
Posted at 12:58PM Sep 28, 2018 by Sally in Newsletter | |