The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 14 September 2018
And a happy Friday to you all. Let's review what's up in Apache Land from the last week:
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 19 September. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series, now in its 20th year.
- 24-27 September: T-10 days to Montreal. 100+ Apache project and community sessions, from CloudStack to Spark to Tomcat to Geospatial to Hackathon, BarCamp, and more. Join us! http://apachecon.com/acna18/
- Guest Post: looking forward to learning more about the wide array of projects in the Apache fold at ApacheCon https://s.apache.org/RkWd
- 4 December: Apache Roadshow DC and Open Source Job Fair. CFP open through 15 October http://www.apachecon.com/usroadshow18/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield snazzy performance at 99.15% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 494 Apache contributors changed 723,907 lines of code over 2,515 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Andrea Cosentino, Shaofeng Shi, Mark Thomas, Shawn McKinney, and Carlos Sanchez Gonzalez.
Apache Commons™ Weaver –an easy way to enhance compiled Java classes by generating ("weaving") bytecode into those classes.
- Apache Commons Weaver 2.0 released https://commons.apache.org/
Apache Directory™ Fortress –a computer security access management facility written in Java.
- Apache Fortress 2.0.2 released http://directory.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a scalable, high-performance hierarchical content repository designed for use as the foundation of modern world-class Web sites and other demanding content applications.
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.2.30 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Kylin™ –an Open Source Distributed Analytics Engine designed to provide SQL interface and multi-dimensional analysis (OLAP) on Apache Hadoop, supporting extremely large datasets.
- Apache Kylin 2.4.1 released https://kylin.apache.org/
Apache MyFaces™ –a JavaServer Faces 2.3 implementation as specified by JSR-372.
- MyFaces Core v2.3.2 released http://myfaces.apache.org/
Apache POI™ –a library for reading and writing Microsoft Office file formats, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, Publisher and Outlook.
- Apache POI 4.0.0 released https://poi.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ –implements the latest AMQP specification, the first open standard for enterprise messaging.
- Apache Qpid Proton 0.25.0 released https://qpid.apache.org/
Apache SystemML™ –a machine learning platform optimal for Big Data.
- Apache SystemML 1.2.0 released http://systemml.apache.org/
Apache Tomcat™ –an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language, Java WebSocket and JASPIC technologies.
- Apache Tomcat 8.5.34 and 9.0.12 released https://tomcat.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that, for the second consecutive year, Apache Flink has been awarded the Datanami Editors' Choice Award for "Top 5 Open Source Projects to Watch"? https://flink.apache.org/
- Did you know that, according to TheServerSide, Apache Maven is still one of the industry's most popular Java build tools? http://maven.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- ASF Annual Report for FY2018 https://s.apache.org/FY2018AnnualReport
- The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q
- Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://events.apache.org/event/meetups.html
- ApacheCon North America will be held 24-27 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/
- The Apache Spark community will be presenting at In-Memory Computing Summit North America 2-3 October in San Francicso https://www.imcsummit.org/2018/us/
- The Apache Big Data community will be at DataWorks Summit 18-21 March 2019 in Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019 in Washington DC https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator, OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/
# # #
Posted at 04:06PM Sep 14, 2018 by Sally in Newsletter | |