The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 31 August 2018
So long, August. Let's wrap up the month with a look back at our activities over the past week:
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 19 September. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series, now in its 20th year.
- 24-27 September: T-24 days to Montreal. Don't miss 100+ Apache project and community sessions, from CloudStack to Spark to Tomcat to Geospatial to Hackathon, BarCamp, and more. Join us! http://apachecon.com/acna18/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield bouncy performance at 96.12% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 288 Apache contributors changed 444,400 lines of code over 1,613 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Sijie Guo, Tellier Benoit, Kevin A. McGrail, Shawn McKinney, and Carlos Sanchez Gonzalez.
Apache Drill™ –an Apache Open Source SQL query engine for Big Data exploration.
- Apache Drill 1.14.0 released https://drill.apache.org/
Apache HttpComponents™ Core –a set of HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2 transport components that can be used to build custom client and server side HTTP services with a minimal footprint.
- HttpComponents Core 5.0 beta3 released http://hc.apache.org/
Apache SystemML™ –a machine learning platform optimal for Big Data.
- Apache SystemML 1.2.0 released http://systemml.apache.org/
Apache XMLBeans™ –a tool that allows access to the full power of XML in a Java friendly way.
- Apache XMLBeans 3.0.1 released https://xmlbeans.apache.org
Did You Know?
- Did you know that since Apache Groovy was first announced 15 years ago, the project has had 160+ releases, 320+ contributors and 100M+ downloads? http://groovy.apache.org/
- Did you know that the CFPs for DataWorks Summit (18-21 March 2019/Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019/Washington DC) closes 14 September? https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Did you know that Chick-fil-A uses Apache MXNet (incubating) vision models to alert when their fries sit for too long? http://mxnet.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- ASF Annual Report for FY2018 https://s.apache.org/FY2018AnnualReport
- The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q
- Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://events.apache.org/event/meetups.html
- Catch members of the Apache community at Solutions Hamburg 12-14 September in Hamburg --stop by the Apache booth and say hello! https://solutions.hamburg/
- ApacheCon North America will be held 24-27 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/
- The Apache Spark community will be presenting at In-Memory Computing Summit North America 2-3 October in San Francicso https://www.imcsummit.org/2018/us/
- The Apache Big Data community will be at DataWorks Summit 18-21 March 2019 in Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019 in Washington DC https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator, OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/
# # #
Posted at 01:53PM Aug 31, 2018 by Sally in General | |