The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 24 November 2017
Happy post-US-Thanksgiving Friday! We appreciate your continued enthusiastic interest and readership; here's what we've been up to:
Support Apache –we depend on the generous support from people like you. Please, consider making a donation to help sustain the ASF's work. There are many ways to make a donation, from debit/credit cards to ACH bank payments to PayPal to Bitcoin to shopping at Amazon and more. Every dollar helps. http://apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 20 December. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield snappy performance at 99.52% uptime http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 192 Apache contributors changed 325,974 lines of code over 986 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Stephen Mallette, Jorge Bay Gondra, Karl Wright, Mark Thomas, and Randall Leeds.
Apache Apex™ Malhar –an enterprise grade Big Data-in-motion platform that unifies stream and batch processing.
- Apache Apex Malhar 3.8.0 released http://apex.apache.org/
Apache BookKeeper™ –a scalable, fault-tolerant, and low-latency storage service optimized for real-time workloads.
- Apache BookKeeper 4.5.1 released https://bookkeeper.apache.org/
Apache Commons™ Daemon –software library that provides a generic Daemon (Unix) or Service (Windows) wrapper for Java code.
- Apache Commons Daemon 1.1.0 released http://commons.us.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/
Apache Groovy™ –a multi-facet programming language for the JVM.
- Apache Groovy 2.4.13 released https://groovy.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a scalable, high-performance hierarchical content repository designed for use as the foundation of modern world-class Web sites and other demanding content applications.
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.16.0 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Kafka™ –distributed, fault tolerant, publish-subscribe messaging.
- Apache Kafka 0.11.0.2 released http://kafka.apache.org/
Apache Log4j™ –a well known framework for logging application behavior.
- Apache Log4j 2.10.0 released https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/
Apache Lucy™ Clownfish –"symbiotic" object system pairs with "host" dynamic language environments and facilitates the development of high performance host language extensions.
- Apache Clownfish 0.6.2 released http://lucy.apache.org/
Apache SIS™ –a Java language library for developing geospatial applications (Spatial Information System).
- Apache Apache SIS 0.8 released http://sis.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Amazon Rekognition uses Apache MXNet (incubating) for Deep Learning to solve complex problems such as image recognition and natural language speech? http://mxnet.apache.org/
- Did you know that you can participate in the Apache Mesos annual survey for a change to win a DJI Spark Drone or an Apple Watch 3? https://twitter.com/ApacheMesos/status/931560074488754176
Apache Community Notices:
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG 3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ 5) JFDI --the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be 8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg 10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO 11) Scratch Your Own Itch. https://s.apache.org/7Amk
- Presentations from ApacheCon https://s.apache.org/Hli7 and Apache: Big Data https://s.apache.org/tefE are available; as well as videos https://s.apache.org/AE3m and audio recordings https://feathercast.apache.org/
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- Members of the Apache community will be out in force at Open Source Summit Paris 6-7 December 2017 http://www.opensourcesummit.paris/
- ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q1 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/cEUm
- ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #
Posted at 04:33PM Nov 24, 2017 by Sally Khudairi in General | |