The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 12 October 2018
Friday greetings from the Apache Community! Join us for a look back at what's happened over the last week:
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 17 October. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series, now in its 20th year.
- FINAL CALL: CFP for Apache Roadshow DC closes 15 October http://www.apachecon.com/usroadshow18/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield solid performance at 97.92% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 504 Apache contributors changed 1,129,855 lines of code over 3,205 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Derek Gelinas, Jeremy Mitchell, Till Rohrmann, Gilbert Song, and Bryan Call.
Apache Arrow™ –a columnar in-memory analytics layer designed to accelerate Big Data.
- Apache Arrow 0.11.0 released https://arrow.apache.org/
Apache Commons™ Text –Open Source software library that provides a host of algorithms focused on working with strings and blocks of text.
- Apache Commons Text 1.5 released http://commons.apache.org/
Apache PDFBox™ –an Open Source Java tool for working with PDF documents.
- [CVE-2018-11797] DoS vulnerability in Apache PDFBox parser http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201810.mbox/%3C12424b12-53c8-d4e4-4b93-8bcbc83488ec%40apache.org%3E
Apache Qpid™ Proton –a messaging library for the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol 1.0.
- Apache Qpid Proton 0.26.0 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Apache Subversion™ –the popular Open Source, centralized version control system.
- Apache Subversion 1.10.3 released https://subversion.apache.org/
Apache Tika™ –a toolkit for detecting and extracting metadata and structured text content from various documents using existing parser libraries.
- Apache Tika 1.19.1 released https://tika.apache.org/
- [CVE-2018-11796] Apache Tika Denial of Service via XML Entity Expansion Vulnerability http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201810.mbox/%3CCAC1dCwUfCG9Vo8UhBzE1U7EgedjaVuDqQ3qYpXn0mFv8DXYT0Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Did You Know?
- Did you know that a great way to learn about Apache projects and their communities is through Feathercast, the voice of the ASF? https://feathercast.apache.org/
- Did you know that Mercedes-Benz uses Apache Wicket for its configurator? http://wicket.apache.org/
- Did you know that MesosCon will be taking place 5-7 November in San Francisco? https://mesoscon18.sched.com/
Apache Community Notices:
- ASF Operations Summary: Q1 FY2019 https://s.apache.org/qiKn
- ASF Annual Report for FY2018 https://s.apache.org/FY2018AnnualReport
- The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q
- Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://events.apache.org/event/meetups.html
- The Apache Big Data community will be at DataWorks Summit 18-21 March 2019 in Barcelona and 20-23 May 2019 in Washington DC https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Future dates for Spark + AI Summit 2019 announced: 23-25 April/San Francisco and 15-17 October/Amsterdam https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/
- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator, OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/
# # #
Posted at 04:17PM Oct 12, 2018 by Sally in Newsletter | |