The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 30 March 2018
Let's bid March farewell with a look back at the many Apache activities over the past week:
But first: cake and party favors!
- The Apache® Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q
- Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/
- A look at the "Apache at 19" promo at https://youtu.be/Fqk_rlKiVIs
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 18 April. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series.
- ENDS TODAY: CFP for ApacheCon 24-29 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/
- Travel Assistance applications now being accepted for ApacheCon/Montreal https://www.apache.org/travel/
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield kicking performance at 99.98% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 519 Apache contributors changed 897,504 lines of code over 3,230 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Hanisha Koneru, Carlos Sanchez Gonzalez, Jean-Baptiste Onofré, Till Rohrmann, and Tellier Benoit.
Apache Accumulo™ –a sorted, distributed key/value store that provides robust, scalable data storage and retrieval.
- Apache Accumulo 1.7.4 released https://accumulo.apache.org/
Apache Ant™ –a Java library and command-line tool that helps building software.
- Apache Ant 1.9.11 and 1.10.3 http://ant.apache.org/
Apache Any23™ –Anything To Triples is a library, a web service and a command line tool that extracts structured data in RDF format from a variety of Web documents.
- Apache Any23 2.2 released http://any23.apache.org/
Apache Commons™ Text –Open Source software library provides a host of algorithms focused on working with strings and blocks of text.
- Apache Commons Text 1.3 released http://commons.apache.org/
Apache Groovy™ –a multi-facet programming language for the JVM.
- Apache Groovy 2.4.15 released https://groovy.apache.org/
Apache HTTP Server™ –the world's most popular Web server software.
- Apache HTTP Server 2.4.33 released http://httpd.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ Oak – scalable, high-performance hierarchical content repository designed for use as the foundation of modern world-class Web sites and other demanding content applications.
- Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.0.42 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Kafka™ –a distributed, fault tolerant, publish-subscribe messaging.
- Apache Kafka 1.1.0 released http://kafka.apache.org/
Apache Kudu™ –an Open Source storage engine for structured data that supports low-latency random access together with efficient analytical access patterns.
- Apache Kudu 1.7.0 released https://kudu.apache.org/
Apache Kylin™ –an Open Source Distributed Analytics Engine designed to provide SQL interface and multi-dimensional analysis (OLAP) on Apache Hadoop, supporting extremely large datasets.
- Apache Kylin 2.3.1 released https://kylin.apache.org/
Apache PDFBox™ –an Open Source Java tool for working with PDF documents.
- Apache PDFBox 2.0.9 released http://pdfbox.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ JMS –AMQP enterprise messaging implementation.
- Apache Qpid JMS 0.31.0 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Apache Struts™ –a free Open Source framework for creating Java Web applications.
- Immediately upgrade commons-fileupload to version 1.3.3 http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201803.mbox/%3CCAMopvkNu%2BMdh%3DXCDQJmKYfjd%3DbdCFkhNXvWbYzvmXuLNw0aYbg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
- A crafted XML request can be used to perform a DoS attack when using the Struts REST plugin http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201803.mbox/%3CCAMopvkNZoHH3qx%2B9brdRdAoZ7zy9w6QPotjohVwqsopGEk%3Dsgw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Did You Know?
- Did you know that HBaseCon and PhoenixCon will be taking place 18 June in San Jose? Contact the Apache HBase and Phoenix project communities for more information http://hbase.apache.org/ and http://phoenix.apache.org/
- Did you know that Orange Moldova uses Apache Wicket to Orange Moldova to build its Webapps? http://wicket.apache.org/
- Did you know that new projects in the Apache Incubator include Druid (Big Data), Dubbo (Java RPC framework), ECharts (charts and data visualization tool), among others? http://incubator.apache.org/
- The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
- Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/ and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- Members of the Apache community will be presenting at DataWorks Summit 16-19 April 2018 in Berlin https://dataworkssummit.com/
- Open Expo Europe - 6-7 June 2018 in Madrid https://openexpoeurope.com/
- Meet members of the Apache community at Open Expo Madrid 6-7 June 2018 http://www.openexpo.es/en/
- We're teaming up with Berlin Buzzwords - 10-12 June 2018 (Apache Lounge dates: 11-12 June) https://berlinbuzzwords.de/
- The 2018 Apache EU Roadshow will be held during FOSS Backstage in Berlin 13-14 June 2018 https://foss-backstage.de/
- Apache Big Data project communities will be participating at DataWorks Summit 17-21 June 2018 in San Jose https://dataworkssummit.com/
- ApacheCon North America will be held 24-29 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/ **CFP IS OPEN!**
- ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary: November 2017 - January 2018 https://s.apache.org/UtBD
- ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #
Posted at 01:10PM Mar 30, 2018 by Sally in General | |