The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 27 October 2017
Success at Apache –the monthly blog series that focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works".
- Scratch Your Own Itch. by Ignasi Barrera https://s.apache.org/7Amk [also featured in JAX Magazine special issue on Open Source https://jaxenter.com/jax-magazine/issues/open-source-jax-mag-oct-2017 ]
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 15 November. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield strong performance at 99.75% uptime http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 450 Apache Committers changed 894,321 lines of code over 2,789 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Jean-Baptiste Onofré, Daniel Gruno, Stephen Mallette, Daniel Templeton, and Paul King.
Apache Commons™ Codec –provides implementations of common encoders and decoders such as Base64, Hex, Phonetic and URLs.
- Apache Commons Codec 1.11 released http://commons.apache.org/codec/
Apache DB Derby™ –sub-project of the Apache DB project: a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and JDBC standards.
- Apache Derby 10.14.1.0 released http://db.apache.org/derby/
Apache Hive™ –Big Data warehouse that facilitates querying and managing large datasets residing in distributed storage.
- Apache Hive 2.3.1 released https://hive.apache.org/
Apache HTTP Server™ –the most popular Web server on the planet.
- Apache HTTP Server 2.4.29 released http://httpd.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a fully conforming implementation of the Content Repository for Java Technology API (JCR).
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.15.7 and Jackrabbit Oak 1.7.10 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Lucene™ –a high-performance, full-featured text search engine library written entirely in Java.
- Apache Lucene 5.5.5 and Solr 5.5.5 released https://lucene.apache.org/
- CVE-2016-6809: Java code execution for serialized objects embedded in MATLAB files parsed by Apache Solr using Apache Tika http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201710.mbox/%3CCAOOKt51d8R6rkZHo%2BPUi7B70ER6ng0SvnsorzoufY5-z4iR_FQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache OpenNLP™ –Machine Learning-based toolkit for the processing of natural language text.
- Apache OpenNLP 1.8.3 released http://opennlp.apache.org/
Apache OpenOffice™ –leading Open Source office application and personal productivity suite for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 released https://s.apache.org/ASF-AOO-414announcement
Apache Portable Runtime™ –software libraries that provide a predictable and consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
- Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.6.3, APR-util 1.6.1 and APR-iconv 1.2.2 released http://apr.apache.org/
Apache PredictionIO™ –Open Source Machine Learning server used to manage and deploy production-ready predictive services.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® PredictionIO™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/GsTT
Apache Qpid™ Proton –a messaging library for the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol 1.0 (AMQP 1.0, ISO/IEC 19464, http://www.amqp.org).
- Apache Qpid Proton 0.18.0 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Yelp runs high resource-cost integration tests at scale on Apache Mesos? http://mesos.apache.org/
- Did you know that the Mahout based Universal Recommender runs on Apache PredictionIO? http://predictionio.apache.org/
- Did you know that Salesforce uses Apache BookKeeper to store streaming log data? http://bookkeeper.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG 3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ 5) JFDI --the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be 8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg 10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO 11) Scratch Your Own Itch. https://s.apache.org/7Amk
- Presentations from ApacheCon https://s.apache.org/Hli7 and Apache: Big Data https://s.apache.org/tefE are available; as well as videos https://s.apache.org/AE3m and audio recordings https://feathercast.apache.org/
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q1 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/cEUm
- ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #
Posted at 02:21PM Oct 27, 2017 by Sally in General | |