The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 20 October 2017
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 15 November. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield on-point performance at 99.77% uptime http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 547 Apache Committers changed 1,377,543 lines of code over 3,399 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Varun Saxena, Jian He, Laszlo Puskas, Aditi Hilbert, and Stephen Mallette.
Apache Commons™ Compress –library that defines an API for working with compression and archive formats.
- Apache Commons Compress 1.15 released http://commons.apache.org/compress/
Apache Commons™ Configuration –software library that provides a generic configuration interface which enables an application to read configuration data from a variety of sources.
- Commons Configuration 2.2 released http://commons.apache.org/configuration/
Apache James™ –a 100% pure Java SMTP and POP3 Mail server and NNTP News server.
- Apache James 3.0.1 security release http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201710.mbox/%3C18ce3ee5-d5cd-ea2a-6c03-fd1361fa0b99%40apache.org%3E
Apache Lucene™ –a high-performance, full-featured text search engine library written entirely in Java.
- Apache Lucene 6.6.2 and 7.1.0, and Apache Solr 6.6.2 and 7.1.0 released https://lucene.apache.org/
- CVE-2017-12629: Several critical vulnerabilities discovered in Apache Solr (XXE & RCE) http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201710.mbox/%3CCAOOKt51UO_6Vy%3Dj8W%3Dx1pMbLW9VJfZyFWz7pAnXJC_OAdSZubA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache OpenOffice™ –leading Open Source office application and personal productivity suite for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Five Years of Apache® OpenOffice™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/P2EH
Apache Pulsar (incubating) –a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on commodity hardware.
- Apache Pulsar 1.20.0-incubating released https://pulsar.incubator.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ Proton –a messaging library for the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol 1.0 (AMQP 1.0, ISO/IEC 19464, http://www.amqp.org).
- Apache Qpid Proton-J 0.23.0 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Apache Rya (incubating) –a Cloud-based RDF triple store that supports SPARQL queries.
- Apache Rya 3.2.11-incubating released https://rya.incubator.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Europe's largest online fashion retailer Zalando uses Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams API for real-time fashion insights? http://kafka.apache.org/
- Did you know that Pune Smart City uses Apache Wicket? http://wicket.apache.org/
- Did you know that intelligent customer data platform Amperity uses Apache Aurora? http://aurora.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG 3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ 5) JFDI --the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be 8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg 10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO
- Presentations from ApacheCon https://s.apache.org/Hli7 and Apache: Big Data https://s.apache.org/tefE are available; as well as videos https://s.apache.org/AE3m and audio recordings https://feathercast.apache.org/
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- The Apache community will be at All Things Open --stop by the ASF booth and say hello! 23-24 October in Raleigh https://allthingsopen.org/
- Learn about Apache Atlas, AriaTosca (incubating), Hadoop YARN, Kafka, ManifoldCF, Ranger, Spot (incubating), Thrift, and more at Open Source Summit Europe + ELC Europe 2017 23-26 October in Prague https://osseu17.sched.com/
- Catch the Apache Ignite and Spark communities at the In-Memory Computing Summit 24-25 October in San Francisco https://imcsummit.org/
- ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q1 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/cEUm
- ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #
Posted at 02:03PM Oct 20, 2017 by Sally in General | |