The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 1 January 2021
Welcome, 2021! We hope that you have had a festive holiday season and are excited to kick off the new year. Here's what happened over the past week:
Apache in 2020 - By The Digits – a look at the achievements from the Apache Community over the past 12 months.
- Summary and stats at https://s.apache.org/Apache2020Digits
- Video highlights https://s.apache.org/Apache2020Digits-vid
The Apache Month in Review – highlights of what we've accomplished over the past month.
- December 2020 https://s.apache.org/Dec2020
- The Apache Software Foundation Operations Summary: Q2 FY2021 (August - October 2020) https://s.apache.org/Q2FY2021
- Next Board Meeting: 20 January 2021. Board calendar and minutes https://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ – the ASF's official global conference series, bringing Tomorrow's Technology Today since 1998.
- all videos from ApacheCon@Home are available at https://www.youtube.com/c/TheApacheFoundation/
ASF Infrastructure – our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield uptime at 99.95%. Performance checks across 50 different service components spread over more than 250 machines in data centers around the world. http://www.apache.org/uptime/
Apache Code Snapshot – Over the past week, 214 Apache Committers changed 1,634,010 lines of code over 2,290 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Gary Gregory, Andreas Veithen, Chesnay Schepler, Rene Cordier, and Sylwester Lachiewicz.
Apache Project Announcements – the latest updates by category.
Application Performance Monitoring --
- Apache SkyWalking Python v0.5.0 released https://skywalking.apache.org/
- Apache ShardingSphere ElasticJob 3.0.0-RC1 released http://shardingsphere.apache.org/elasticjob/
- Apache Accumulo 1.10.1 and 2.0.1 released http://accumulo.apache.org/
- Apache Accumulo CVE-2020-17533: Improper Handling of Insufficient Permission https://s.apache.org/ixwwc
Data Management Platform --
- Apache Ignite 2.9.1 released http://ignite.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that the following Apache projects are celebrating anniversaries this month? Many happy returns to Apache Cocoon, James, and Web Services (17 years); Lucene (15 years); ActiveMQ (13 years); Hadoop (12 years); River (9 years); Empire-db and Gora (8 years); OpenMeetings (7 years); Samza (5 years); Arrow (4 years); and Ranger (3 years)! https://projects.apache.org/committees.html?date
- Did you know that the Top Ten of Fortune's "Future 50" companies --ServiceNow, Veeva Systems, Atlassian, Workday, Splunk, Adyen, MercadoLibre, DexCom, Square, and Spotify-- are all Powered by Apache? Everyone is welcome to use ASF and Apache Project badges to show that your projects are Powered by Apache http://apache.org/foundation/press/kit/#poweredby
- Did you know that ASF Targeted Sponsor Manning Publications is offering special deals on the latest books on Apache Airflow, Pulsar, Spark, and Thrift, among other titles and MEAP (Manning Early Access Program) eBooks? https://deals.manning.com/the-latest-apache-innovations/
Apache Community Notices
- Apache Month In Review: November 2020 https://s.apache.org/Nov2020
- ASF FY2020 Annual Report https://s.apache.org/FY2020AnnualReport
- "Trillions and Trillions Served" documentary on the ASF: 1) full feature https://s.apache.org/Trillions-Feature 2) "Apache Everywhere" https://s.apache.org/ApacheEverywhere 3) "Why Apache" https://s.apache.org/ASF-Trillions 4) “Apache Innovation” https://s.apache.org/ApacheInnovation
- The Apache Software Foundation Statement on the COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak https://s.apache.org/COVID-19
- The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 21 Years of Open Source Leadership https://s.apache.org/21stAnniversary
- Apache in 2019 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/Apache2019Digits
- The Apache Way to Sustainable Open Source Success https://s.apache.org/GhnI
- Foundation Reports and Statements http://www.apache.org/foundation/reports.html
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the people and processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache
- Inside Infra: the new interview series with members of the ASF infrastructure team --meet
Chris Thistlethwaite https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Chris
Drew Foulks https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Drew
Greg Stein Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg
...Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg2 and Part III https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg3
Daniel Gruno Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Daniel1 and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Daniel2
Gavin McDonald Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Gavin and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Gavin2
Andrew Wetmore Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew2
- Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TheASF) and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/ and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
= = =
For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select ASF Committers.
Posted at 03:44PM Jan 01, 2021 by Swapnil M Mane in Newsletter | |
Apache Month in Review: December 2020
Welcome to the latest monthly overview of events from the Apache community. Here's a summary of what happened in December:
Support Apache --
When we founded the ASF 21 years ago, we made a commitment to ensure Apache software is freely available to everyone worldwide at 100% no cost. Today the ASF provides more than $21B worth of software developed by an all-volunteer community.
- from Individual and Corporate donations to online shopping, Corporate Charitable Giving, Matching Gifts, and Sponsorship, There are many ways to help the ASF with a tax-deductible contribution https://s.apache.org/2020SupportApache
New this month --
- ApacheCon™ – the ASF's official global conference series, bringing Tomorrow's Technology Today since 1998.
-- Videos of all ApacheCon@Home sessions, including Plenaries and Keynotes, are available https://www.youtube.com/c/TheApacheFoundation/
- Apache Software Foundation Operations Summary: Q2 FY2021 (August - October 2020) https://s.apache.org/Q2FY2021
- "Inside Infra" – the interview series featuring members of the ASF Infrastructure team
-- Meet Andrew Wetmore --Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew2
- Apache Month in Review: November 2020 https://s.apache.org/Nov2020
Important Dates --
- Next Board Meeting: 20 January 2021. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
In December, 837 Apache Committers changed 11,192,118 lines of code over 18,775 commits. The Committers with the top 5 highest contributions, in order, were: Andrea Cosentino, Xiang Xiao, Hugh Miles, Andi Huber, and Gary Gregory.
Project Releases and Updates --New releases from Apache Accumulo (Big Data); Airflow (Big Data); APISIX (API); Avro (Big Data); Beam (Big Data); Bigtop (Big Data); Camel (Integration); Flink (Big Data); Groovy (Programming Languages); HBase (Big Data); HttpComponents Core (Servers); IoTDB (IoT); Jackrabbit (Content); JMeter (Testing); JSPWiki (Content); Kafka (Big Data); Knox (Big Data); OpenMeetings (Web Conferencing); PDFBox (Content); Pulsar (Messaging); Rya (Big Data); ShardingSphere (Big Data); SINGA (Machine Learning); Skywalking (Application Performance Management); Struts (Web Frameworks); Syncope (Identity Management); Tika (Big Data); Tomcat (Servers); Traffic Control (Servers); Traffic Server (Servers); Yetus (Library).
The Apache Incubator is the primary entry path for projects wishing to become an official part of the ASF. New to the Apache Incubator in December: Wayang (Big Data). We invite you to review the many projects currently in development in the Apache Incubator http://incubator.apache.org/ .
# # #
To see our Weekly News Round-ups (published every Friday), visit https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/ and click on the calendar or hop directly to https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/Newsletter . For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to email@example.com and follow @TheASF on Twitter. We appreciate your support!
Posted at 10:35AM Jan 01, 2021 by Swapnil M Mane in Newsletter | |