The Apache Software Foundation Blog
The Apache News Round-up: week ending 15 December 2017
Support Apache –in the final days of the year, please consider making an individual donation or encouraging your employer to participate in our many Corporate Giving options, from ASF Sponsorship to Matching Gifts and more. Not only does Apache benefit from your contribution, you may also benefit with a tax deduction. Every dollar counts. http://apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
"Success at Apache" –the blog series from the Apache Community that focuses on why the ASF "just works".
- What a Long Strange (and Great) Trip It's Been by Jim Jagielski https://s.apache.org/gVuN
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation's bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 20 December. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield great performance at 99.64% uptime http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 93 Apache contributors changed 112,695 lines of code over 435 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Satish Saley, Attila Magyar, Antoine Duprat, Tilman Hausherr, and Francesco Chicchiriccò.
Apache Calcite™ –a dynamic data management framework.
- Apache Calcite 1.15.0 released http://calcite.apache.org/
Apache Commons™ BCEL –Byte Code Engineering Library (BCEL) gives users a convenient way to analyze, create, and manipulate compiled .class files.
- Apache Commons BCEL 6.2 released http://commons.apache.org/bcel
Apache Commons™ Text –Open Source software library that provides a host of algorithms focused on working with strings and blocks of text.
- Apache Commons Text 1.2 http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-text/
Apache Hadoop™ –Ubiquitous Open Source enterprise Big Data framework.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Hadoop® v3.0.0 General Availability https://s.apache.org/UghA
Apache HBase™ –an Open Source, distributed, versioned, non-relational database.
- Apache HBase 1.1.13 released https://hbase.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a fully compliant implementation of the Content Repository for Java(TM) Technology API, version 2.0 (JCR 2.0) as specified in the Java Specification Request 283 (JSR 283).
- Apache Jackrabbit 2.10.7 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Knox™ –a REST API Gateway for providing secure access to the data and processing resources of Hadoop clusters.
- Apache Knox 0.14.0 released http://knox.apache.org/
Apache Kudu™ –Open Source storage engine for structured data.
- Apache Kudu 1.6.0 released https://kudu.apache.org/
Apache Mnemonic™ –Open Source storage-class memory oriented durable object platform for Java application developers.
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Mnemonic™ as a Top-Level Project https://s.apache.org/58zm
Apache MXNet (incubating) –a deep learning framework designed for both efficiency and flexibility.
- Apache MXNet 1.0.0 released http://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/
- Apache Tobago 4.0.0 released http://myfaces.apache.org/tobago/
Apache Mynewt™ –a community-driven module OS for constrained, embedded applications.
- Apache Mynewt 1.3.0 released http://mynewt.apache.org/
Apache Olingo™ –a Java library that enables developers to implement OData producers and OData consumers.
- Apache Olingo 2.0.10 released http://olingo.apache.org/
Apache OpenMeetings™ –provides video conferencing, instant messaging, white board, collaborative document editing, and other groupware tools.
- Apache OpenMeetings 4.0.1 released http://openmeetings.apache.org/
Apache Phoenix™ –enables OLTP and SQL-based operational analytics for Apache Hadoop.
- Apache Phoenix 4.13.1 released http://phoenix.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ Proton –a messaging library for the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol 1.0 (AMQP 1.0, ISO/IEC 19464, http://www.amqp.org).
- Apache Qpid Proton-J 0.24.0 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Apache Struts™ –an elegant, extensible framework for creating enterprise-ready Java Web applications.
- Security Bulletin S2-055: impact increased to High (related to CVE-2017-7525 - JSON Jackson library) http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201712.mbox/%3CCAMopvkMb_CDw9UNZMUec8UApNZ8Xmr2M-wTCXPuhB9fCTr2Eqg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Apache Tika™ –a toolkit for detecting and extracting metadata and structured text content from various documents using existing parser libraries.
- Apache Tika 1.17 released http://tika.apache.org/
Apache Tomcat™ –an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies.
- Apache Tomcat 8.0.48 released http://tomcat.apache.org/
Did You Know?
- Did you know that Apache Syncope is now enlisted as SCIM (System for Cross-domain Identity Management) 2.0-compliant implementation? http://syncope.apache.org/
- Did you know that Slack's job queue uses Apache Kafka to robustly scale to handle billions of tasks in milliseconds? http://kafka.apache.org/
- Did you know that you can help the Apache Tika community by testing Tika 1.17-rc1 (the last major version using Java 7)? http://tika.apache.org/
Apache Community Notices:
- Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
- "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG 3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ 5) JFDI --the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be 8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg 10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO 11) Scratch Your Own Itch. https://s.apache.org/7Amk 12) What a Long Strange (and Great) Trip It's Been https://s.apache.org/gVuN
- Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
- Meet members of the Apache community at Open Expo Madrid 6-7 June 2018 http://www.openexpo.es/en/
- ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q2 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/j1GJ
- ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #
Posted at 04:54PM Dec 15, 2017 by Sally in General | |