CouchDB Weekly News, May 08
Weekly CouchDB meeting – summary
- 1.6.0 release: 1.6.0-rc.5 is out for testing, so for all systems go. 1.6.x CI is all green, a formal vote will be coming this week
- rcouch merge status: testing up to now showed it's functional, it will be suggested for integration branch merge
- BigCouch merge status: a massive progress has been made this week. Soon branches will be rewritten to clean up the history, afterwards the community will be asked for help with testing.
- Fauxton: agreement that Fauxton replaces Futon in CouchDB 2.0 (post merge) and that resolution of COUCHDB-1954 prior to that is critical. There'll be a thread on dev@ mailing list about this and release preparation.
- Bylaws, Code of Conduct, Diversity Statement: everyone in the community is still invited to read the by-laws draft and join the discussion on dev@ mailing list (see thread); an initial Code of Conduct and Diversity draft will be posted next week
- Project release artefacts: the current state of what the project release artefacts are will be documented and publicized
Discussion: Project by-laws (ongoing discussion; see thread)
The first draft of the by-laws has been modified and is still being discussed. It can be found here, your comments are very welcome.
How to get results in descending order by date and without ID field (see thread)
The docs for result orders can be found here. To remove the ID field, users can use a list function.
Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc5 (ongoing testing and discussion; see thread)
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- PouchDB 2.2.0 – including persistent mapreduce, eventemitter api, replication works for huge datasets
- highland-couchr 1.0.0 – streaming style API to CouchDB, using couchr under the hood
- massage-couch 0.1.0 – massage CouchDB documents with an OS daemon worker.
- CouchDB – partioned dates and group levels to control aggregation granularity
- The Long Tail of Open Source (and You)
- Dealing with actor runtime environments on hierarchical shared memory multi-core platforms – Thesis for obtaining the Doctorate Degree in Sciences
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Stack Overflow: How to structure class for CouchDB HTTP api?
- Stack Overflow: Get selected latest 10 docs from CouchDB order[ed] by timestamp
- Stack Overflow: with Python, how can I save a json dumps as a CouchDB document?
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB reduce function — only return sum(value) that meets certain conditions
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB crashes after few minutes running
- Stack Overflow: How can I replay a header which is sent in request to CouchDB?
- Stack Overflow: AngularJS + NodeJS + CouchDB (no public answer yet)
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB Map function to get the data in between two dates
Get involved!If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- Help us testing Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc5! You'll find all important information on release artefacts and test procedure here.
- Here's a list of beginner tickets around our currently ongoing Fauxton-implementation. If you have any questions or need help, don't hesitate to contact us in the couchdb-dev IRC room (#couchdb-dev) – Garren (garren) and Sue (deathbear) are happy to help.
- May 13, Hamburg, Germany: the first CouchDB User Group meeting in Hamburg
- May 13, New York, USA: Database Superstars Panel, Future of NoSQL & NewSQL: CouchDB, NuoDB, OracleNoSQL
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- DevOps Engineer, New York, USA
- Work for any of JS, UI/UX, Node, CouchDB experience (see tweet), can work remote
… and also in the news
- The Meaning of Life - a talk (watch this!)