The Apache CloudStack Blog
Apache CloudStack Weekly News - 28 January 2013
As the 4.1.0 feature freeze approaches, the mailing list has been extremely active. The activity on -dev is off the charts, with (according to MarkMail) more than 4,400 messages sent to -dev in January - and the month isn't over yet! This eclipses the previous record set in October 2012 of 3,109 messages. Major discussions this week include the Javelin merge and IP clearance issues.
The feature freeze is 31 January 2013. Testing and bugfixing will carry through from 1 February 2013 to 28 February 2013, then docs freeze is on 28 February (excepting release notes and translations). See the full schedule on the wiki.
Major Discussions and Issues
As usual, the -dev mailing list has been hopping for the past week. Here's a summary of some of the major issues and discussions that have taken place over the last week.
Counting down to feature freeze for 4.1.0-incubating
Reminder on 21st January that there were 10 days left to feature freeze on Apache Cloudstack 4.1.0-incubating. Status at the time of the reminder:
Out of 95 total proposed features / improvements, their status is:
21 In Progress
This week we had several VOTE results around IP donations from Citrix.
- Accept a donation of "Documentation for various features" from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of 'Documentation for various features' from Citrix Result: passed.
- No IP Clearance Needed to accept a donation of 'support security group enabled network in advanced zone' Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of 'network service support in shared network' from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of 'providing support of optional Public IP assignment for EIP with Basic Zone' from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of Enhanced Baremetal Provisioning support from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of Egress firewall rules feature for guest network for CloudStack from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of reset SSH key to access a VM in CloudStack from Citrix Result: passed.
- Accept a donation of SRX&F5 inline mode support in CloudStack from Citrix Result: passed.
Note that Chip Childers sent an email about incoming IP Clearance VOTEs to email@example.com about the 7 IP clearance votes that would be sent to the incubator folks.
Alex Huang started a discussion about merging the Javelin branch into master. "The content of the merge is the storage framework refactoring and converting everything use Spring." There's some decisions yet to be resolved around the storage piece of this that needs to be resolved before the request to merge Javelin is decided.
LICENSE and NOTICE files for 4.1.0
Chip Childers has raised a question about changes to the LICENSE and NOTICE files for CloudStack. This would remove all binary dependency notice info from the top level LICENSE and NOTICE files in the source tree, and create two copies of the Whisker descriptor.xml files, one that generates the source distro's files and one that generates the files for packaged versions of Apache CloudStack.
VOTE called for 4.0.1-incubating
The VOTE for 4.0.1-incubating has been called as of January 25 and will run for 72 hours or until it gets the required votes, or is -1'ed and restarted. Note that, if successful, the release still needs to be voted on by the IPMC and receive at least three +1 votes. The release could be out as early as next week, if all goes well.
Writing unit tests after Javelin is merged
Alex Huang has written up a page on how to write unit tests after the Spring injection framework is merged into Master.
CloudStack San Francsico Bay Area Meetup group created
A new meet group has been created for San Francsico Bay Area http://www.meetup.com/CloudStack-SF-Bay-Area-Users-Group/. First meetup is expected in February, so stay tuned.
Bang-up job on translations
According to Sebastien Goasguen
The mad race to CloudStack documentation translation has started.
Japan is leading the way with 52% of the translation complete.
China is close second with 40%
Brazil is third with 11%
See more about working on translations on the wiki.
Donal Lafferty has submitted a review request for a Hyper-V plugin for CloudStack.
Speaking at events doesn't happen by accident, or without preparation. For example, if you want to speak at a major event like OSCON, you need to submit a talk well in advance.
CFPs to be aware of
The Linux Collaboration Summit CFP also closes on 4 February 2013 in case you were looking to get a CloudStack or related talk in.
What's on tap for the coming weeks
- Linux.conf.au: Joe Brockmeier is speaking about Apache CloudStack during the Cloud Infrastructure, Distributed Storage and High Availability miniconf on Monday (28 January, 2013).
- Linux.conf.au: Open Cloud Meetup at LCA organized by the OpenStack Meetup Group on Tuesday (29 January, 2013).
- FOSDEM: Sebastien Goasguen is speaking about Apache CloudStack features and tools during the cloud DevRoom at FOSDEM on Sunday (3 February, 2013).
- Build a Cloud Day (BACD): Full day workshop on CloudStack co-located with Puppet Camp in Ghent, Belgium (1 February, 2013).
- UK/European User Group Meet-up : Shapeblue is organizing a meet-up. (January 16th, 2013)
- Build a Cloud Day (BACD): Full day BACD at SCALE on Friday (22 February 2013).
- CloudStack Booth at SCALE: Meet with CloudStack folks at SCALE (23-24 February 2013), also Joe Brockmeier is speaking about CloudStack at SCALE.
- All bugs have been cleared for 4.0.1-incubating. Please tag all bugs for the 4.0 branch for 4.0.2 going forward. (Excepting bugs discovered that should be blockers to 4.0.1-incubating, of course.)
- 4.1.0 currently has 4 blockers, 14 critical bugs, 279 major bugs, and 36 minor bugs unresolved.
- 101 bugs are currently unassigned.
New Committers and PPMC Members
- John Burwell has been asked to become a committer, and has accepted.
Posted at 10:43PM Jan 28, 2013 by jzb in News | |